April 19, 2006

YOU MEAN I SHOULDN'T SCRATCH THIS ICHIRO?:

Fantasy Baseball: Do some shopping to get out of cellar (Jerry Faull, 4/19/06, Seattle Times)

Anyone out there languishing among fantasy baseball's bottom-feeders?

We're just two weeks into the season and there are already owners who can't stand to look at their underperforming roster or even acknowledge their place in the standings.

They're wondering what went wrong, cursing all the time spent preparing for the draft and maybe even considering quitting altogether and never playing again.

If you're one of those owners, stop panicking. It's not quite time to turn your attention to football season.

A rule I've seen referenced a lot is that an owner — in rotisserie and head-to-head leagues — shouldn't even look at the standings until May. The theory being that one's attention should be fully focused on their team and how to make it better.

The hardest part is to maintain enough faith in a starting pitcher to absorb a series of drubbings.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 19, 2006 12:00 AM
Comments

What's the over/under for Manny's first home run.

It's beginning to look like he and Barry need some of the clear.

.280 slugging? Yikes.

Better get him in touch with whichever pharmacist turned Giambi's season around last year!

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at April 19, 2006 11:13 AM

Jim:

Want to bet on Manny's numbers for the season?

Posted by: oj at April 19, 2006 11:19 AM

What kind of bet?

I'm sure he won't finish with the numbers he has now.

But, he's been declining, slowly but surely, for several seasons now. OPS down to .982 last season and avg down below .300.

Here's Manny's ops from 2002 on -- 1.097, 1.014, 1.010, .982

For comparison here's Bernie Wms ops from 1998 til 2003: .997, .971, .957, .917, .908, and whoops .778 in 03

Could 06 for Manny be Bernie's 03?

NB: 3 1/2 yrs age diff btwn the two, and that's assuming Manny was really born in '72. Manny was a few years behind me in HS in NYC, and I saw him play when he was a soph, iirc. Didn't look no 15 years old.

Baseball Prospectus is predictiing a .956 ops this season for Manny.

I'm gonna go under. I'd say he'll be closer to .900 than to .950.

Still very good, but your boy's getting old.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at April 19, 2006 12:28 PM

A Red Sox hat vs. a Yankees hat on the over/under at .956. Winner buys the other guy the hat. Loser poses for a picture & I'll post it.

Posted by: oj at April 19, 2006 12:32 PM

You're on.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at April 19, 2006 12:43 PM

just a warning, I wear 7 7/8 or 8--they may charge you for two hats.....

Posted by: oj at April 19, 2006 12:48 PM