April 5, 2006

I'M THE ONE YOU NEED TO KNOW:

The biggest question mark: Deciphering the 'Lost' map (Bruce Schwartz and Steve Coogan, 4/04/06, USA TODAY)

After several slow weeks, finally — a Lost with lots of fresh fodder for theorists.

Last week, in what could be the granddaddy of all clues so far, the producers offered us a diagram of what seem to be the secrets of the island. The sprawling, scrawled map was painted in black-light colors on a drop-down metal door.

And to emphasize the map's significance, the show trapped Locke under the door so he would have no choice but to stare at it and try to memorize as much as he could before it disappeared.

Neat clue, but the episode was actually not as good as a few prior weeks.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 5, 2006 12:11 PM
Comments

There's a couple of time-management issues concerning Lost that are really bugging me. First, there are way too many reruns. When a show is so serialized you've got to know exactly when there's a new episode so you don't miss anything and/or lose interest. And second, they appear to be having a bit of a hard time fitting episodes into the ~45 minutes or so that they have each week. You can tell sometimes that there just must be a scene or two that's been left on the editing room floor.

It's still the only show I make a point of watching, but they can't afford to alienate viewers since due to the nature of the show it will be very hard to pick up significant numbers of new viewers at this point.

Posted by: b at April 5, 2006 1:20 PM

The problem is the five year time frame. Most of us had quit on X-Files by then because it was taking too long to explain the mythos, if they ever did. Likewise, Alias took so long the show died.

Posted by: oj at April 5, 2006 2:13 PM

We're watching it too, but I'm thinking we won't "get" it until we watch it on DVD.

Posted by: erp at April 5, 2006 2:17 PM

I'm trying to watch season 4 of Alias right now, and it's just not worth it. They should have stayed with a 3 year plan.

Posted by: Patrick H at April 5, 2006 2:45 PM

Reading all these comments kind of makes me glad I haven't wasted one minute of my time on any of those shows.

Posted by: Bartman at April 5, 2006 2:52 PM

They're popular enough that ABC wants to launch the fall season with their show, and then stretching out the number they're able to produce a season across all the sweeps periods, ending in May, means a lot of reruns.

Posted by: RC at April 5, 2006 3:26 PM
« HAND ME THAT LONG KNIFE, WOULD YOU, DOMINIC...: | Main | WHICH IS WHY THE IDEAL MIXED REPUBLIC IS TOPPED BY A KING: »