April 19, 2006

AND SUDDENLY SHE LOST INTEREST IN SOCCER:

Throws like a girl — with 70 mph fastball (DAVID GROSSMAN, 4/19/06, Toronto Star)

Samantha Mullins heard the snickers coming from a handful of what she referred to as "macho guys" at her east-end Toronto high school.

At first, the 16-year-old didn't take too kindly to their reaction after word spread that she was trying out for the boys' baseball team at Birchmount Park Collegiate.

"I remember they were laughing at me thinking it was some kind of joke," said Mullins. "It didn't discourage me. If anything, it got me pumped. When I got out to practice, there were other guys who were quite the opposite and very supportive."

Mullins ignored the chatter and focused on making the final roster when the Toronto District School Board season starts in a few weeks. She made the cut and is now the only girl on the 20-player Birchmount Park team, considered one of the best programs in the province.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 19, 2006 8:32 AM
Comments

Makes sense. True football is a man's sport anyway.

I guess steroid ball isn't any longer, tho, huh?

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at April 19, 2006 10:52 AM

In terms of anatomy, she probably has a lot in common with the roided-up stars of the MLB.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at April 19, 2006 11:39 AM

If she can make the team within existing requirements, fine, but I object to the girlie rules used at the military academies and police/fire departments.

Posted by: erp at April 19, 2006 2:55 PM

oj, you are cruel taunting those poor soccerphiles. They have a hard enough time trying to convince 97% of America that their favorite sport is more exciting than women's basketball.

Posted by: pchuck at April 19, 2006 8:52 PM

I played high school ball in the same league as Ila Borders, better known as the answer to the trivia question, "Who was the first woman to play in a professional baseball game?" I can tell you nobody gave her any breaks at the high school level; she was good (by the standards of our league of small Christian schools, anyway). Wicked junk, although I don't recall her fastball being anything special. She was definitely not on steroids.

She played a couple of seasons in the minor leagues and had a career ERA north of 6.00, if memory serves.

Posted by: Random Lawyer at April 19, 2006 8:52 PM

Heck, it's not even more exciting than women's soccer....

Posted by: oj at April 19, 2006 8:56 PM