March 31, 2006

DIMMESVILLE:

'Let the prisoners pick the fruits' (AP, 3/31/06)

"I say let the prisoners pick the fruits," said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of California, one of more than a dozen Republicans who took turns condemning a Senate bill that offers an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants an opportunity for citizenship.

"Anybody that votes for an amnesty bill deserves to be branded with a scarlet letter 'A,'" said Rep. Steve King of Iowa, referring to a guest worker provision in the Senate measure.

You can't make these guys look as stupid as they are.

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 31, 2006 3:53 PM
Comments

"guest worker" = licensed invader

Posted by: John J. Coupal at March 31, 2006 4:07 PM

"I say let the prisoners pick the fruits,"

Corvee labour! Haha. Maybe we can have them build a giant wall along the southern border too.

Posted by: Taeyoung at March 31, 2006 6:45 PM

"By their fruits shall ye know them."

Or whatever.

Posted by: jdkelly at March 31, 2006 8:27 PM

People in some towns go crazy just at the thought of a prison in their community. Having prisoners in the nearby orchards should make things even more interesting.

Posted by: John at March 31, 2006 11:29 PM

John, I'll second that. We have prisoners cleaning up along the side of road only a mile or two from the house and it makes me nervous too.

Posted by: erp at April 1, 2006 5:35 PM

are you sure it's not just people working off traffic tickets, cleaning up the roads ?

Posted by: toe at April 1, 2006 6:28 PM

Posted by: toe at April 1, 2006 6:28 PM

toe. Are you serious? People work off traffic tickets by cleaning along the side of the road? I guess I'll have to ease up on the old gas pedal.

I don't really know what they're in for. Guards are standing around with rifles? shotguns? in their hands and the prisoners are wearing those orange jumpsuits. Sometimes "Prisoner" is written across their backs, sometimes there's a sign saying "Prisoners."

None of them look happy and I'd rather have a littered road than a homicidal maniac on the loose.

Posted by: erp at April 1, 2006 7:46 PM

i guess those are prisoners then. around here you see road crews made up of people working off tickets, community service, that kind of thing. they don't look happy either but there are no jumpsuits or shotguns.

why shouldn't prisoners work in the fields ? they already do all kinds of work inside of prison.

Posted by: toe at April 2, 2006 8:21 PM