February 23, 2006

PUT DOWN THE CAPE, KID:

Ames Gives Woods Wrong Kind of Pep Talk (Leonard Shapiro, 2/23/06, Washington Post)

It's never a good idea to provoke Tiger Woods, even with a seemingly innocent remark.

Stephen Ames learned that lesson the hardest way possible on Wednesday, absorbing a 9-and-8 first-round drubbing, the worst loss in the eight-year history of the World Match Play Championship at La Costa.

On Tuesday, Ames, the lowest-seeded player in the elite 64-man event, told reporters that, "anything can happen, especially where he's hitting the ball," referring to Woods's recently somewhat erratic driving. [...]

Afterward, Woods smiled ever so slightly and said he had been aware of Ames' comment. When someone wondered about his reaction to it, the smile was gone when he answered, "9 and 8."

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 23, 2006 8:30 AM
Comments

Thanks for the Jim Croce reference; that made my day.

Posted by: John Barrett Jr. at February 23, 2006 9:48 AM

That's trash talk in golf? - no wonder I don't watch it.

Posted by: Shelton at February 23, 2006 10:10 AM

In the 1977 Camp Sankaty Head Golf Championship I was playing in the Junior Flight and the guys playing in the Senior walked off after the 10th, but it was even worse, 10-8.

Posted by: oj at February 23, 2006 10:11 AM

If you tugged on Superman's cape, he'd probably turn around and politely ask you to stop doing that.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at February 23, 2006 10:22 AM

I have no idea what "9 and 8" means, which is precisely why Tiger Woods is the most irrelevant overhyped celebrity in the world.

Posted by: AC at February 23, 2006 11:27 AM

It means he has won 9 holes, with only 8 holes left to play. No reason to continue the match, it's over.

Posted by: AllenS at February 23, 2006 11:43 AM

I don't know anything about golf, but this young man, Tiger Woods, comports himself like a gentleman. When you're that much better than any of your peers, it must be difficult to remain modest about your achievements and talents, especially in this age of media hype. That his head hasn't been turned is a minor miracle.

Just look at what the media did to the "kids" competing at the Olympics. They set up people who fit their ideal of an American competitor, Bode Miller, brought up a shack in the mountains of New Hampshire by a hippie mother, extol is hard drinking, free wheeling, non-materialistic life style and then ignore the facts, like he's living the life of a media star and doesn't hob and nob with the hoi polloi or others on his team. When Bode's gold medal is won by another skier on the U.S. team, he and his family there rooting for him are practically dissed by the onsite announcers.

This winter Olympics is such a dud I wonder if the Olympics hasn't had its last run and 2006 will be remembered only as the time when, astonishingly, Susan Sarandan was chosen to represent the Americas in the flag carrying ceremony.

Posted by: erp at February 23, 2006 11:46 AM

The winter olympics, dead? Don't say that! We've got 'em coming to Vancouver, B.C. in '010, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the foolishness and stupidity slopping south over the border. (They're already well over budget, for example. But they do seem to have learned the lessons about bribery...)

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at February 23, 2006 12:13 PM

Raoul, If you watched any of the NBC coverage, you wouldn't be surprised by my remakrs, but perhaps the CBC coverage is better?

We watched the Canadian television during the Lake Placid games when we lived in Vermont. How naive we were to think that the coverage then was bad. Little did we know how much worse and anti-American it would get and that's not even counting Brian Williams and his snide remarks.

Posted by: erp at February 23, 2006 1:15 PM

Ali:
Earth Prime Superboy pulped a guy's head with one punch in the most recent issue of Infinite Crisis. I, for one, wouldn't tug on his cape.

erp:
I don't watch the Olympics for the talking heads, I watch it for the sports. Brian Williams can go pound sand for all I care, when's curling on?

Posted by: Bryan at February 23, 2006 1:40 PM

Bryan, my point is that they're showing only the littlest snippets of the events. If you like curling, perhaps you're Canadian and don't have to depend on NBC for your coverage.

Posted by: erp at February 23, 2006 2:54 PM

The shot that put Finland into the medal round in Curling yesterday was the highlight of the games so far, but it was on in the afternoon here and I only saw it accidentally looking for Arthur.

Posted by: oj at February 23, 2006 2:57 PM

Arthur?

Posted by: erp at February 23, 2006 5:38 PM

I tried to catch Don Cherry after yesterday's game, but I think they had him sedated for the protection of the CBC crew. Maybe they'll have him on tonight.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at February 23, 2006 6:47 PM

Speaking of the 2010 Olympics south of the border: Passport rules could dampen local impact of 2010 Games.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at February 23, 2006 8:52 PM

erp:

An educational young children's cartoon.

Posted by: Noam Chomsky at February 24, 2006 1:44 AM