February 24, 2006

IF WE DID THAT HERE... (via Brian McKim):

Mayor suspended over 'Nazi' jibe (This is London, 2/24/06)

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has been found guilty of bringing his office into disrepute by comparing a Jewish reporter to a Nazi concentration camp guard.

Mr Livingstone was suspended from duty for four weeks from March 1 after being found guilty of bringing his office into disrepute.

The three-man Adjudication Panel for England unanimously ruled that Mr Livingstone had been "unnecessarily insensitive and offensive" to Evening Standard reporter Oliver Finegold in February last year.

...the Democratic caucus in Congress wouldn't be able to muster a quorum.

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 24, 2006 1:48 PM
Comments

Not that I have any sympathy for Ken "Red" Livingstone. But out of curiosity how can a democratically elected mayor of one of the world's major cities get "suspended" from his constitutional office?

Criminal malfeasance in office, or impeachment, or recall. Those I understand.

David Laverick, chairman of the disciplinary panel sitting in central London, said: "His treatment of the journalist was unnecessarily insensitive and offensive."

Disciplnary panel? Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

Posted by: Gideon at February 24, 2006 2:15 PM

I dislike Ken Livingston intensely and am happy to see the demogoque get his comeuppance, but this should be a skit on Monty Python. patently ridiculous.

Posted by: Genecis at February 24, 2006 2:42 PM

"disciplinary panel"

Yesss...visions of several Margaret Thatchers, dressed in tweed, setting behind a long mahogany table listening to your excuses, before they decide the proper ah..punishment.

Posted by: h-man at February 24, 2006 2:49 PM

is this an example of democracy or socialism ?

Posted by: toe at February 24, 2006 3:11 PM

Idiotism.

Posted by: erp at February 24, 2006 3:47 PM

Suggested headline:

DISCIPLINARY PANEL MAKES RED KEN FEEL BLUE

Posted by: Matt Murphy at February 24, 2006 5:38 PM

This and David Irving are distressing examples of the suppression of free speech. As vile and reprehensible as Livingstone and Irving are, I suppose I should still write a strong letter of protest. I'll do it after I trim my nails. In July. Of 2008. Maybe.

Posted by: Mike Morley at February 24, 2006 7:15 PM
« RUNNING THE MOTHER COUNTRY AS A HIPPIE COMMUNE: | Main | UNREALISM (via Pepys): »