January 28, 2006

NO SERIOUS PERSON LEADS A WAR FROM SWITZERLND:

Democrats concede Judge Alito victory (Charles Hurt, January 28, 2006,
THE WASHINGTON TIMES)

Sen. John Kerry dashed home from the Swiss Alps yesterday to man the barricades of a futile filibuster against Supreme Court nominee Judge Samuel A. Alito Jr.

Well before he reached the battlefield, however, Democrats had waved the white flag and agreed that next week's vote to confirm Judge Alito will surely succeed.

"Everyone knows there is not enough votes to support a filibuster," Minority Leader Harry Reid said yesterday, several hours before Mr. Kerry arrived.

By midday, Republicans had dubbed Mr. Kerry's international politicking the "Swiss Miss."

It's a microcosm of Senator Kerry's career--he's not where the action is occurring and there's no one following him.

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 28, 2006 7:18 AM
Comments

"Everyone knows there is not enough votes to support a filibuster,"

Everyone?

Posted by: erp at January 28, 2006 10:05 AM

Ah, but he was over there doing "the people's work", and came home immediatly to lead the charge! I even think he said "I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty."

Posted by: Dave W at January 28, 2006 11:09 AM

Erp - maybe not everyone but a good number of bloggers, noting public statements, declared that there weren't enough votes to sustain a filibuster. So you would think Kerry, being a Senator, would be in the loop enough to know that.

Posted by: AWW at January 28, 2006 12:47 PM

AWW - You're right. That's what makes me suspicious.

Posted by: erp at January 28, 2006 1:16 PM

He's rushing home from Switzerland and he has no clear plan in mind for what to do when he arrives. This man makes caricature too easy.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at January 28, 2006 3:05 PM

Every time I see Kerry on TV, I fall down on my knees, and thank allah that he is not our president.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at January 30, 2006 3:26 AM
« RAGTIME COWBOY JACQUES | Main | NOTE THAT THEY'RE GIVING DEMOCRATS THE SAME ADVICE KARL ROVE WOULD: »