January 8, 2006

DO WATCHMAKERS NOT MAKE WATCHES?:

ID’s big problem: Who designed the designer? (Richard Dawkins, December 27, 2005, Science & Technology News)

Design is not a real alternative to chance at all because it raises an even bigger problem than it solves: Who designed the designer?

It's hard to believe that anyone takes this guy seriously given the shallowness of his reasoning. Consider anything about which there is no disagreement that it was designed by an intelligent being, whether a computer program, a skyscraper, or even a Shar-pei dog. Does our inability to determine whether the designers -- we humans -- were created, designed, or evolved mean that we have to change our minds and pretend that the things themselves weren't actually designed by us? The very notion is asinine, yet for the Darwinists it passes for profundity. And then they wonder why we don't take them seriously.

MORE:
The Virus Of Faith? (Alexandra von Maltzan, 1/08/06, All Things Beautiful)

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 8, 2006 6:07 PM
Comments

He is a True Believer, though, isn't he? And what a proselytizer. On a mission, he is.

Posted by: ghostcat at January 8, 2006 6:35 PM

"What happened to Kennedy?"

"He was shot!"

"By whom?"

"Lee Harvey Oswald"

"Yeah, but....who designed him?

I see what you mean.

Posted by: Bruce Cleaver at January 8, 2006 7:19 PM

Wow, what a link. Especially the link within. The BBC?

Posted by: Peter B at January 8, 2006 7:49 PM

Ex 3:13-14 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"

God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

The tetragrammaton, transliterated YHWH or JHVH, literally means "I am".

Posted by: Gideon at January 8, 2006 10:07 PM

Funny how guys like Dawkins never ask where the universe came from in the first place (and call anyone who does an idiot).

Even watches that spontaneously evolved out of a pile of dust need to be wound, not to mention a pile of dust.

For those of you who do not believe in God, try imagining an eternal construct that explains the source of the endless, yet finite universe. If you can do that, your construct is not much different than mine of God.

Time has no place in such an eternal construct because "endless, yet finite" are contradictions that exist side-by-side in our physical universe. Most Christians that I know get all messed up when it comes to Time and the religion begins to look rather foolish. (Things were different before Christ, after Pentecost, and what about the thief on the cross... yada yada yada).

But step back a moment and consider the universe without time. It's a good way to meet your Creator.

Posted by: Randall Voth at January 9, 2006 12:18 AM

I am not very religious, and I stay out of the ID / Darwinism debate altogether, but that's one mighty simple-foolish attempt at a "gotcha!!"

Posted by: Twn at January 9, 2006 5:30 PM