January 27, 2006

BECAUSE ONE LIVE BABY IS TOO MANY:

Senator Feinstein to Vote No on Cloture (U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, January 27, 2006)

U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) today announced that she will vote no on cloture regarding the nomination of Judge Samuel A. Alito, Jr. to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.

“Based on a very long and thoughtful analysis of the record and transcript, which I tried to indicate in my floor statement yesterday, I’ve decided that I will vote no on cloture.”

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 27, 2006 5:52 PM
Comments

This ain't over yet, boss. Soros and Co. know who's squeezable. Could be an inerestin weekend.

Posted by: ghostcat at January 27, 2006 6:07 PM

I wonder who put the horse's head in her bed. Or maybe she woke up this morning next to a dead prostitute.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at January 27, 2006 6:21 PM

The dead horse head came from Cindy Sheehan, who threatened to run against her unless sho voted for the filibuster.

Howard Dean, while crazy, was smart enough not to split the Dem party. Sheehan, on the other hand, isn't even close. I've got my fingers crossed that she runs as an independent in 2008...

Posted by: Timothy at January 27, 2006 6:44 PM

I agree it's not over yet, the canary in the coal mine, Schumer, hasn't spoken up yet. I can't see him passing up a handout, yet defeating Alito only means the president will send up someone with no track record next time.

In the end, Bush will get a conservative confirmed.

Posted by: erp at January 27, 2006 6:50 PM

ghostcat - She's not part of the Gang of 14, so her opinion may not matter.

erp - If they're gonna filibuster, send up Janice Rogers Brown. Please the base and make the Dems defame a black woman.

Posted by: pj at January 27, 2006 7:29 PM

when has feinstein ever shown anything but this kind of hackery. coming from cali she has nothing to worry about as far a re-election goes so she can afford to be a loon. i love the weather here but the politicians in this state make ray naggin look like a prince.

Posted by: toe at January 27, 2006 7:32 PM

Soros, Neas & Associates will spend their weekend working very aggressively to "turn" a small number of moderate Democrats and liberal Republicans. I doubt they'll change the outcome, but I don't rule that out, and they may well make the final margin waffer-thin.

Posted by: ghostcat at January 27, 2006 9:29 PM

ghostcat:

You may be right, but it seems to me that avoidance of a filibuster is the key. If it comes to a floor vote, its a win for Bush, regardless of Alito's margin of victory. Basehits all look like line-drives in the boxscore.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at January 27, 2006 10:37 PM

For once, Frist seems quite determined. If the Dems find 40 votes against cloture, he will immediately change the rules. Last spring, the votes evidently were not there. Today, with the foolishness of the Democrats apparent to all, they will be. All the GOP needs is 50. I suspect that is why Byrd was so passionate yesterday - he knows the filibuster is hanging by a thread, and it will the psycho left that kills it (if need be). Reid knows it, too.

What the moonbats don't realize is that if the Senate rules are changed, Bush can nominate anyone he thinks he can get 50 votes for. Even Specter's opposition will be muted then.

Posted by: jim hamlen at January 27, 2006 11:15 PM

On the other hand, if there are the 60+ votes for cloture and Alito gets confimed by less than 60, the moonbats will go crazy.

Posted by: jd watson [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 28, 2006 12:23 AM

Feinstein's spech on the Senate floor regarding the dangers of originalism versus living constitutionalism was an eye opener. Not one mention of the amendment process, of course. The woman is out of her senses.

Posted by: Tom C., Stamford, Ct, at January 28, 2006 8:16 AM

Ha! I predicted Cindy Sheehan would be the up and coming Dem for 2006. Now watch for Stephen Laffey to upset Lincoln Chaffee in the Rhode Island Republican primary.

Posted by: Robert Duquette at January 28, 2006 4:45 PM

sheehan can't win any elected office, even in the people's republic.

Posted by: toe at January 28, 2006 10:50 PM