December 11, 2005

DANG BIG NICHE:

`Narnia' turns fantasy into hard cash with $67.1 million (DAVID GERMAIN, 12/11/05, Associated Press)

Another fantasy world has joined Hollywood's instant-blockbuster club.

Disney's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" - adapted from C.S. Lewis' tale of enchantment, epic battles and talking animals - debuted as the weekend's top movie with $67.1 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. [...]

"Chronicles of Narnia" follows the "Harry Potter" and "The Lord of the Rings" films as the latest fantasy franchise making the leap from book to screen courtesy of dazzling computer animation to create its legions of creatures.

The three "Lord of the Rings" movies had respective debuts of $47.2 million, $62 million and $72.6 million. The first three "Harry Potter" flicks each opened in the $90 million range, with the fourth film, "Goblet of Fire," debuting in November with $102 million.

Posted by Orrin Judd at December 11, 2005 5:23 PM
Comments

I've got this nice collection of the books I'm giving to the sister-in-law who has two little boys. I plan to read it before I have to wrap it for Christmas.

Posted by: RC at December 12, 2005 3:27 AM

I'll be watching this on Tuesday after Doom.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at December 12, 2005 4:40 AM

Stories of heros and villians, where the good guys win.

Who would have thought that formula would work?

Posted by: Mikey at December 12, 2005 7:33 AM

I saw Lion yesterday. It is pretty good, and a really great family movie for the kids during the Christmas season.

However, I wonder if the subsequent stories in the Narnia series will have traction. Lion always seems to be everyone's favorite, and unlike the Potter books there is nothing to naturally build hype for Prince Caspian or the Dawn Treader, say. I'd bet money that the next movie will underperform compared to this one and that all the books will not be filmed.

Posted by: Chris Durnell at December 12, 2005 11:01 AM

My family went and saw the movie Friday. Both my thirteen year old daughter and my seven year old son cried when the Lion died and I teared up a bit too. It's a great family movie.

Posted by: Ray Clutts at December 12, 2005 12:16 PM

ray, thanks for giving away the ending.

Posted by: spoilers at December 12, 2005 12:36 PM