November 27, 2005

PLEASE DON'T LET THEM SEND ME BACK THERE...:

Some New Orleans Students Happy Elsewhere (JUSTIN POPE, November 27, 2005, AP)

Stephanie Swisher is settling in nicely as a freshman at the University of Virginia, enjoying classes, Naval ROTC, club volleyball and football Saturdays. Things are going so well, in fact, that she would rather not return to Tulane University in New Orleans -- the school she had expected to attend until Hurricane Katrina struck.

"The argument that everyone's giving me is that I'm a freshman so I've never known Tulane, I need to give it a chance,'" she said. "My argument is, why should I have to?"

In medical testing when an experiment is obviously harming subjects' health instead of helping you don't keep giving the patients the drug.

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 27, 2005 3:09 PM
Comments

I realize Tulane doesn't want their students poached, but at some base level Tulane has to consider the needs of the students first.

Come to think of it, New Orleans and the entire state of Louisiana need to do the same throughout their entire culture and economy. If working-class folk can get better economic opportunities in South Dakota, Colorado, or Nebraska, New Orleans needs to let them go.

Posted by: Brad S at November 27, 2005 5:00 PM

If she isn't taking the place of a Virginia resident, let her stay there.

Posted by: erp at November 27, 2005 7:07 PM

Duh. A student would rather go to UVa than to Tulane. Well yeah, it's a much better school. Tulane's not even remotely in UVa's class.

What about the Tulane students who are at podunk state univ, whoknowswhere campus? Think they want to stay where they are?

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at November 27, 2005 10:56 PM

It will be quit a story if Tulane is back in business for the second term in January. Its becoming quite clear that the city of N.O. is going to take a long time to rebuild, and it will be much smaller and less important than it was.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at November 28, 2005 12:13 AM

Smaller and less important? Can the nation endure such a thing? What a loss that would be to us all. Please Robert, say it won't be so.

Posted by: Dave W. at November 28, 2005 4:36 AM
« THE BUBBLE BURST AND ALL I HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT IS A $360K HOME: | Main | WE'RE WITH W: »