November 13, 2005

FILM RECOMMENDATIONS OUT THE WHAZOO:

DVD Sneaks (LA Times, 11/13/05)

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 13, 2005 9:05 AM
Comments

I'm most eagerly anticipating the DVD release of RKO #601 myself.

Posted by: Ed Driscoll at November 13, 2005 9:40 AM

I was speaking with a friend yesterday who will be spending Thanksgiving with his new Columbian-American in-laws. He's somewhat freaked out because they don't make a big thing of Thanksgiving, basically just ordering some food in. I recommended he bring over Gurinder Chadha's What's Cooking, an excellent movie about immigrants and Thanksgiving I recommend to everyone this month.

That led to Ms. Chadha's Bride and Prejudice, which I recommend for the fun of it, the over-the-top Bollywoodness of it and, of course, for Aishwarya Rai, the most beautiful woman in the world.

Posted by: David Cohen at November 13, 2005 3:35 PM

Second David's recommendation of What's Cooking. Don't remember where I read it (probably WSJ) but Thanksgiving is celebrated by virtually everyone in the US, regardless of religious or ethnic background.

Ms. Rai is very easy on the eyes as well.

Posted by: Rick T. at November 13, 2005 3:52 PM

Besides Mrs. Cohen, of course.

Posted by: joe shropshire at November 14, 2005 12:23 AM

The wife is a big fan of "Bride and Prejudice".

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at November 14, 2005 1:31 AM

David - My in-laws are Colombian, too, and they do make a big deal about Thanksgiving...except with a Colombian twist...instead of sweet potatoes and cornbread stuffing they serve arroz con coco (coconut flavored rice) and tostones (fried, green plantains)...and here's the kicker: they stuff the turkey with a mixture of ground beef, hardboiled eggs and spices...after dinner, we all go in for bypass surgery...

I've added 2 things to the celecration: candied yams (which they all love) and football (which none of them care about, so I get a few hours of quiet time)...

Posted by: Foos at November 14, 2005 10:25 AM

Joe: Dr. Cohen's virtues are inexhaustible, but include a clear-eyed perception of the world around her.

Foos: I'll pass those suggestions on.

Posted by: David Cohen at November 14, 2005 10:59 PM
« THE AQUARIUMS OF MYANMAR: | Main | THE DARWIN PROJECT? (via Robert Schwartz): »