November 3, 2005

BE AT LEAST AS BIG A MAN AS HARRIET:

Rove's Future Role Is Debated: White House May Seek Fresh Start In Wake of Leak (Jim VandeHei and Carol D. Leonnig, 11/03/05, Washington Post)

Top White House aides are privately discussing the future of Karl Rove, with some expressing doubt that President Bush can move beyond the damaging CIA leak case as long as his closest political strategist remains in the administration.

His departure, like Libby's, has been inevitable since at least July--drawing it out this long hasn't served the President well.

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 3, 2005 7:14 AM
Comments

What "damaging CIA leak case"? Rove should be promoted to Chief of Staff, or maybe VP, just to screw with the monds of the moonbats, both right and left.

Posted by: sam at November 3, 2005 9:11 AM

I agree with OJ 100% on this one. Every White House needs new staff at the start of the 2d term. W, who was around for Reagan 2, knows that. I wouldn't be surprised if Plamegate has actually extended Rove's time in the administration. The obvious thing to do is to shift Rove over to a 527 and let him start planning for '08.

Posted by: David Cohen at November 3, 2005 9:21 AM

Rove isn't Chief of Staff, Card is.

Rove leaving would give the Dems a cheap victory. He should stay. Well, he should really go so fresh blood can come in but he can't so long as the Fitzgerald investigation is going on.

Posted by: Bob at November 3, 2005 9:46 AM

You do want to make sure the new team is competent and focused before you push the old team out. The James K. Baker for Donald T. Regan swap during Reagan term II didn't exactly turn out gangbusters, because Regan seemed to take the "Reagan is an idiot" meme of the left to heart when he was Chief of Staff, and alienated other Reagan loyalists, along with Nancy.

Judging by the initial reaction of the NRO-Weekly Standard crown to the Harriet Miers' nomination, there are a lot of the right today who take the "Bush is an idiot" meme of the left on GWB to heart as well. Putting someone with that mindset into a top White House position in the end would be more trouble than it's worth.

Posted by: John at November 3, 2005 9:50 AM

McCain '08.

Posted by: oj at November 3, 2005 10:21 AM

"Top White House aides are privately discussing"

If I were Bush, the only people I would fire would be those who talked to the WaPo without my permission. Since I do not work in the White House, and all that I know about its internal operations is what I read in a hostile and unreliable MSM, I would not opine on who should work there and who should not work there.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at November 3, 2005 10:28 AM

Mr. Schwartz;

How do you know it was without permission? Heck, if I were Rove and/or President Bush, I'd put out "leaks" like this on a regular basis, just to mess with the press and make enough smoke that real fires would be hard to detect.

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at November 3, 2005 10:31 AM

The leak is from McClellan's office. Look at the focus on poor Scott. If he wasn't the worst press secretary since Ziegler, I might have pity.

Posted by: Bob at November 3, 2005 1:25 PM

Yes, let's throw Rove overboard for a crime that a federal investigator looking for the past 2 years decided he didn't do. That's sure to satisfy the Dems and MSM and they will play nice with Bush after that. (sarcasm off)

Posted by: AWW at November 3, 2005 11:07 PM

Rove lied to the President and the Administration said no one there had leaked but if they had they'd be gone. Rove fired himself.

Posted by: oj at November 4, 2005 6:36 AM
« MAX FACTOR’S APPLIED DARWINISM | Main | C'MON, GUYS, HE'S A NAZI, NOT THE OTHER N-WORD: »