November 21, 2005

ALL I GOT FROM THE BROTHERSJUDD CONTEST WAS THIS TOENAIL BOOK:

A Savannah Man Gets to the Bottom Of a Nasty Affliction (Barry Newman, Wall Street Journal, page 1, Nov 21, 2005)

Mr. Thomas began to get the itch to do a toe book....

"Would you read a whole book on toe fungus?" asked Ms. Dang.

"Probably not," Ms. Woods replied. "I'd only purchase it if it had other-parts-of-the-body funguses as well."...

Sales of "The War Against Toenail Fungus" have broken into the low thousands....

"What really sells a patient memoir is word of mouth," he said, seated among file boxes and athlete's-foot remedies in his writing room. "But this disease is not discussed at cocktail parties. Nobody discusses it at all." Mr. Thomas added: "Toenail fungus has no word-of-mouth potential."

Remember: at cocktail parties, a better topic of discussion than toenail fungus is Redefining Sovereignty.

Posted by pjaminet at November 21, 2005 12:15 PM
Comments

I clicked the link but they won't let me buy. When does it come out? At 520 pages, I need to get started ASAP.

How can us BroJudd groupies get our copies autographed?

Posted by: JAB at November 21, 2005 12:22 PM

Is true sovereignty freedom from toe fungus?

Posted by: ratbert at November 21, 2005 12:50 PM

Toenail fungus, Redefining Sovereignty, whatever - they're both going to get me shunned at cocktail parties.

Posted by: Brandon at November 21, 2005 1:02 PM

JAB: Publication date is February 2006.

Posted by: pj at November 21, 2005 1:51 PM

Hmmmm... toenail fungus.

Posted by: Homer Simpson at November 21, 2005 1:56 PM

Better, yes. More popular, I'm not so sure. PJ, you've reminded me the season of mind-numbingly boring cocktail parties will soon be on us. Does anyone have any good tips for skipping that secualar/pagan ritual and moving straight to the sacred stuff like opening presents?

Posted by: Peter B at November 21, 2005 3:16 PM

Peter B. count your blessings. My wife and I will be having an annual Thanksgiving dinner with 10 Demonazis, one of which is an ordained minister who considers himself a "bright."

Thank you Orrin for this post as I will attempt to float a discussion on Toenail Fungus in order to eat up some time in mouth music.

Posted by: Genecis at November 21, 2005 6:08 PM

Definitely worth a mention, but only really appropriate while nibbling on the pickled mushrooms.

Oh, and don't forget to blame Bush for the high price of Terbinafine.

Posted by: Barry Meislin at November 22, 2005 2:26 AM

Orrin:

I smell a contest. Best subversive line at liberal cocktail parties. No direct insults or revealing shibboleths-- gotta keep'em off balance.

"Personally, I don't see how we can withdraw from Iraq until we've agreed on a comprehensive five-year plan for integrating our troops back into the domestic economy."

or maybe:

"Look, if we don't ban abortion in our Blue states and start forcing our women to have lots more babies, we'll never carry another presidential election. It's all about demographics, darling."

Posted by: Peter B at November 22, 2005 5:41 AM
« TRYING TO LOSE THE COLD WAR HAVING SERVED THEM SO WELL...: | Main | WHAT THE LEFT KNEW THEN: »