October 5, 2005

OKAY, NOW WE OPPOSE HER:

Harriet Miers and MS-DOS: The Supreme Court nominee helped defend Microsoft against consumer lawsuits. (Rick Anderson, 10/05/05, Seattle Weekly)

Taking part in a massive criminal enterprise should clearly disqualify her.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 5, 2005 2:04 PM
Comments

OJ, I've never understood your characterization of MSFT as a criminal enterprise. But even criminals get to hire lawyers.

MSFT makes mediocre products. I curse it daily. It sometimes crosses the line in marketing tactics so lawsuits are legitimate remedies in some cases. However, the anti-trust suit was really over the top and probably hurt the industry.

It was fun watching the atheistic, Darwinist, Ayn Rand loving Silicon Valley types from Sun, Apple, Oracle, etc. sign on for an anti-trust suit against a software publisher that had the temerity to compete with them, thus lowering prices and preventing their own firms from cornering the market for database and OS software. Surely you appreciate the role MSFT has played in the deflationary growth we've experienced?

Posted by: JAB at October 5, 2005 2:22 PM

What a brilliant choice W made.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 5, 2005 2:30 PM

JAB:

I worked for a company in Chicago that sold and managed systems mostly for law firms. MicroSoft has in the past, though I don't know if they still do it, required such companies to pay for MS software for every computer they sell, regardless of whether the PC even has it loaded, or they won't sell to you at all. They're glorified racketeers.

Posted by: oj at October 5, 2005 2:31 PM

David:

B-I-N-G-O!

Posted by: oj at October 5, 2005 2:36 PM

OJ, now it makes sense. I agree that this sort of marketing tactic was over the line and that suing them was probably appropriate, assuming the details supported it. I think they've toned it down but still have onerous licensing enforcement terms.

To me this sort of thing could be hashed out in court without major anti-trust action against them.

Posted by: JAB at October 5, 2005 3:16 PM

JAB:

Criminal.

Posted by: oj at October 5, 2005 3:19 PM

Ignore Steve Jobs' politics and get a Mac. You'll be happier. My girlfriend just replaced her Compaq with an iBook and could hardly be happier with it.

Posted by: PapayaSF at October 5, 2005 5:35 PM
« WHEELAN VS. WHEELIN' (via John Resnick): | Main | THE EAST COAST DOESN'T VOTE FOR US ANYWAY (via Charlie Herzog): »