October 12, 2005

NO ONE FEARS A TOOTHLESS SHARK:

No More Scores To Settle (Chris Kraeuter and Peter Kafka, 10.11.05, Forbes)

Microsoft wiped away one of its final antitrust lawsuits on Tuesday by inking a $761 million settlement with RealNetworks. Now that the company's edges have been softened by years of punishing legal battles, it will be left to compete solely on the basis of its technological innovations.

That's a real concern, as many consider the Redmond, Wash.-based company to be a master marketer and close technology follower but not a particularly creative innovator.

If they were capable of competing in a free market they wouldn't have become a predatory criminal enterprise in the first place.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 12, 2005 2:29 PM
Comments

I understand why your Wife should hate Bill, but you're just biting the hand that doesn't feed you.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 12, 2005 4:19 PM

I use a Mac--PCs are too hard to figure out.

Posted by: oj at October 12, 2005 4:24 PM

Sounds like sour apples.

Posted by: Genecis at October 12, 2005 4:57 PM

[M]any consider the Redmond, Wash.-based company to be a master marketer and close technology follower but not a particularly creative innovator.

That's exactly the formula for world-beating success.

Being a creative innovator sometimes pays off, but being an incremental innovator, as well as a commanding marketer and knock-off artist, rarely doesn't pay off.

Look at GM's history.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 12, 2005 7:01 PM

I use a Mac at work, but I wish Winamp would finally create a Mac version of their streaming software. It beats Real Player by miles -- they squandered much of their early lead in the field due to their own stupid decisions as much as due to Mr. Gates' challenge -- and I find it more responsive than Apple's QuickTime player in either its Mac or PC formats.

Posted by: John at October 12, 2005 7:48 PM

I hate Real Player the way OJ hates Microsoft.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 12, 2005 8:07 PM

Michael:

Except that follow technology so they can steal it.

Posted by: oj at October 12, 2005 9:14 PM

"Copy" isn't "steal".

If Microsoft's would-be competitors came up with something radically new, instead of building better mousetraps, then Microsoft wouldn't even be able to copy 'em.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 12, 2005 11:00 PM

I thought the more interesting perspective is that both companies realized they were losing to Apple in the pop music space, and it was time to bury the hatchet and get back in the game. BTW $760 million is some serious coin. M$ clearly knew they would lose in court.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 13, 2005 12:15 AM

Of course copying is stealing if you're a software company.

Posted by: oj at October 13, 2005 7:25 AM

This summer I bought a PC with Windows XP. It works considerably worse, in every way, than the old machine, which was seven years older and used Windows 98.
What really infuriates me is that I've identified some of the junk running in the background that causes the problems...and Microsoft has set it to be impossible to turn off, even the stuff that pertains to Net accesss, which I don't use (my other 'puter is never connected to the Net).
Product that constantly gets worse: This is not the behavior of a firm operating in a competitive environment.
I'll enjoy learning Linux over the next few years, then Bill Gates can kiss my ass.

Posted by: Tom at October 13, 2005 4:48 PM
« IF ONLY THINGS HAPPENED JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE WOULD BENEFIT: | Main | MY SIN GOOD, YOUR SIN BAD: »