October 14, 2005

GIVE THIS MAN A NOBEL, HE LAUGHED:

American Football (A Reflection upon the Gulf War) (Harold Pinter)

Hallelullah!
It works.
We blew the s*** out of them.

We blew the s*** right back up their own ass
And out their f***ing ears.

It works.
We blew the s*** out of them.
They suffocated in their own s***!

Hallelullah.
Praise the Lord for all good things.

We blew them into f***ing s***.
They are eating it.

Praise the Lord for all good things.

We blew their b***s into shards of dust,
Into shards of f***ing dust.

We did it.

Now I want you to come over here and kiss me on the mouth.

Posted by Matt Murphy at October 14, 2005 1:09 PM
Comments

War is all hell, but we had already known that.

Perhaps the enemy poet understands something about (North) American Football. Now let him write a poem called, "Sports Utility Vehicle."

Posted by: Lou Gots at October 14, 2005 2:25 PM

The gleam of pure intelligence radiates from these lovely words (with apologies to Wodehouse.) I know I sure couldn't write like that!

Posted by: Kirk Parker at October 14, 2005 2:41 PM

I posted the poem in the Pinter thread below, with the note that if someone can find a similar poem by Harold about European football, OJ may have to rethink his disdain for the Nobel committee's selection process.

Posted by: John at October 14, 2005 2:42 PM

It's only a matter of time before he's awarded the Nobel Prize for literature. If we had engaged in more wars he surely would have it already.

Posted by: George B at October 14, 2005 2:46 PM

I'm not accusing this Pinter guy of plagarism or anything, but...

Why does this remind me of my college days, reading the verse written on the walls above the toilets at the Woodlawn Tap, aka "Jimmy's"? (Where they repainted those walls every few months to give the poets and commentators a fresh medium for their efforts.)

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at October 14, 2005 2:52 PM

"It's only a matter of time before he's awarded the Nobel Prize for literature"

Gee, how time flies. Hadn't heard and to think I thought this was all a joke!

Posted by: George B at October 14, 2005 2:59 PM

If I wasn't sure that the Swedes are clueless, I would accuse them of Anti-Semitism, releasing this on Yom Kippur. Pinter is a complete moonbat, a British Noam Chomsky -- only he never made any useful contributions to computer scince. Pinter is as we say a "shande fur die goyim." (a scandal in front of the gentiles).

===================

"Where they repainted those walls every few months to give the poets and commentators a fresh medium for their efforts."

They must have gone soft by the time you were there.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 14, 2005 6:13 PM

It always takes me by surprise to realize that Harold Pinter and Arthur Miller aren't the same person.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 14, 2005 6:18 PM

I know Pinter is a tool and all, but that last line is hilarious.

Now I want you to come over here and kiss me on the mouth.

Are you kidding me? That is comedy gold!!

I am going to end at least one conversation with that line tomorrow.

Posted by: Pepys at October 14, 2005 8:48 PM

Ah, Jimmy's.

Any of you guys been there since Jimmy died and they tarted up the joint?

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at October 14, 2005 9:32 PM

Haven't been there in a quarter century. But I still have a couple of steins that made it out the side door.

You mean they got rid of the dank? How could they get rid of the dank? Next you'll tell me they put in a juke box and video games, 25 watt bulbs and started selling Budweiser.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at October 14, 2005 10:35 PM

Probably been about 20 years since I've been to Jimmies.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 14, 2005 11:37 PM

More than 30 years for me.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 15, 2005 1:39 AM

Did all you guys attend the U. of Chicago?

I've never been up there but if I'm ever in Chicago would you guys recommend dropping by this bar? Assuming it hasn't changed too much since 1999?

Posted by: Matt Murphy at October 15, 2005 5:46 AM