October 1, 2005

F.Y.I.:

The Other Brother has just installed a script that will prompt you for a name when you post a comment. Please feel free to use a pseudonym. The sole reason for this is that we'd like to think the comment section affords an opportunity for discussion and folks who don't put any moniker at all make that discussion more difficult.

As always, we'd ask that your comments not crib extensively from other people's writings--use a link if you want to reference another site--that you not use profanity and that you not attack people personally. Ideas are fair game--people aren't. We try to delete and/or edit as few comments as possible, though offensive, false, and non-responsive comments will not be treated with undue respect and we do reserve the right to play with trolls' comments for purposes of our own amusement. The Darwinists are particular cat's paws.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 1, 2005 12:00 AM
Comments

I've signed in to TypeKey many, many times, on this site and others, but it doesn't take.

Do you want us to sign in there or wait for the prompt?

Posted by: erp at September 30, 2005 7:03 PM

If you just fill in the stuff here and hit "Remember Me?" it should save it.

Posted by: oj at September 30, 2005 7:11 PM

No problem OJ; but try not to abuse the Darwinists too much, they're forced by their genes to post(some how it helps them breed?).

Posted by: Robert Mitchell Jr. at September 30, 2005 7:34 PM

Playing with Darwinists is just a way to exert the evolutionary pressure on them that may cause them to spontaneously speciate. Or go extinct. Either fits with their dogma.

(Now if you could get the "Remember Me?" to actually do something, like, say, remember me. (And, yes, I've got cookies enabled for this site.))

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 30, 2005 7:47 PM

Raoul:

They never adapt, thereby proving my point.

Posted by: oj at September 30, 2005 8:16 PM

I want to be really rude to Perlestein.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at September 30, 2005 10:25 PM

You mean I can't post here anymore?

Posted by: Anonymous Troll at October 1, 2005 1:15 AM

"As always, we'd ask that your comments not crib extensively from other people's writings"

No, that's only to be done in the main blog.

Posted by: Glaivester at October 1, 2005 6:49 AM

Here are the rules we try to follow:

(1) No profanity.

(2) Minimal self-reference (though none would be unnatural)

(3) Minimal linking to other blogs.

(4) Minimal reference to comments. (Folks who write comments don't get to do so on the front page, so we try not to write about them on the front.)

(5) Try--though I'm bad about this myself--to only quote about three paragraphs, or no more than a third, of any story you blog. We want folks to go read it at the site that owns it. But if you need to use more to make the excerpt make sense, no problem.

(6) Never let it interfere with real life.

Posted by: oj at October 1, 2005 7:48 AM

No, "Anonymous Troll" is a perfectly acceptable name and has the benefit of accuracy and accidental self-knowledge.

Posted by: oj at October 1, 2005 8:15 AM

Peppered moths rule!! Peppered moths rule!!
Peppered moths rule!!!

All hail the peppered moth!

Posted by: Andrew X at October 1, 2005 10:25 AM

Me and Walt Disney still secretly run the world. Just thought you folks would like to know.

Posted by: Prescott Bush at October 1, 2005 10:48 AM

I've conceded that the peppered moth and every other instance of claimed Darwinism are hoaxes--what more do you want from me?

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at October 1, 2005 2:12 PM

Jeff:

Yes, and you've stopped trying to use various familial pathologies as if they were objective proofs, for which I likewise thank you.

Posted by: oj at October 1, 2005 2:58 PM

[Y]ou've stopped trying to use various familial pathologies as if they were objective proofs...

Your concept that personal experiences are proof of nothing is likewise fallacious, although potentially the less irritating of the two errors.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 1, 2005 4:14 PM

Personal experiences are all anyone believes. Subjectivity trumps all.

Posted by: oj at October 1, 2005 5:23 PM

Raoul,

Do youhave JavaScript enabled as well? Movable Type sets the cookie using JavaScript, works for me in Firefox and IE.

Posted by: The Other Brother at October 1, 2005 6:58 PM

OJ: That's not been my experience.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 1, 2005 9:33 PM

Brilliant repartee, David.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 1, 2005 9:56 PM

What if these little hobbit-men from Indonesia (?) are really roaming gnomes? What are the implications for Darwinian theory?

I don't usually comment on the Darwin threads - perhaps I might start (under a pseudonym, of course).

Posted by: ratbert at October 1, 2005 10:33 PM

Ratbert has discovered our true identity and wins a book! I kneqw it was a mistake to do those trevelocity commericals.

Posted by: Roaming Gnome at October 1, 2005 11:50 PM

The comment attributed to me above bears no resemblance to what I actually submitted, thereby proving OJ's point.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at October 2, 2005 6:16 AM