October 27, 2005

DON'T FRENCHMEN QUALIFY ANYWAY?:

Angry Van de Velde wants to play in women's British Open (Norman Dabell, 10/27/05, Reuters)

Jean Van de Velde, famous for losing a British Open, says he wants to play in the women's equivalent at Royal Birkdale next year.

The Frenchman, who let slip the 1999 championship at Carnoustie by running up a triple-bogey seven at the 72nd hole, is unhappy at the Royal and Ancient Golf Club's (R & A) recent decision to allow women to qualify for the British Open.

"It's crazy that women should be allowed to try to qualify for our Open when men cannot do it for their Open," Van de Velde told reporters after struggling to a seven-over-par 78 in the first round of the Volvo Masters on Thursday.

"I intend to make a stance. What kind of discrimination is this?"

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 27, 2005 1:09 PM
Comments

The women's events should call the men's bluff and allow open qualifying too. No man will dare to enter.

But I still think that allowing women to compete with the men will be catastrophic for women's sports.

Posted by: b at October 27, 2005 1:23 PM

This is beyond parody.

Posted by: Mikey at October 27, 2005 1:27 PM

Maybe he is hoping that if he wears a wig and a dress, the fans won't yell "Tin Cup" at him.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 27, 2005 1:42 PM

"No man would dare to enter."

If you lived in a place like the Upper Left Washington, you'd never make a statement like that.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at October 27, 2005 3:10 PM

No man will dare to enter.

People wearing golf clothing have already lost their sense of propriety. And otherwise they will just use part of the price money to have it surgically removed.

Posted by: Daran at October 27, 2005 3:30 PM

The Frenchman...

Let's move on.

Posted by: AllenS [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 27, 2005 3:34 PM

Of course I think men will play. I had never asked myself that question until Anika Sorenson entered a male tournament and failed to qualify. This was no big deal to me, but less than 2 weeks later she won over 1/2 million dollars for winning an LPGA event. It then occured to me that a number of men that had beaten her and made close to nothing on the PGA circuit, could have gone to the LPGA and have a real chance at the 1/2 million. That kind of money is a big draw, especially if you are fighting for equality, I for one would not make fun of the guy, he's got a point about equality.

Posted by: jean d at October 28, 2005 12:01 PM
« SIXTY YEARS OF "OCCUPATION" AND COUNTING: | Main | TAKE IT OUT ON THE REGIME, NOT THE PEOPLE: »