September 12, 2005

WHAT THEY'D BE SAYING IF THE FEDS HAD RESPONDED MILTARILY:

New Orleans: A Bush Police State Incubator? (Kurt Nimmo, September 7, 2005, Another Day in the Empire)

​​​​It's no secret the Free Republic site is a forum set up for right-wing nuts and racists who think Bush is not tough enough on the enemies of the fascist state they feverishly envision. "They should change the name from New Orleans to New Mogadishu," opines one racist crackpot. "Time to take out the trash," blathers another after a rumor about "Delta Force operators" (i.e., professional killers and sadists) "dropped into New Orleans" circulated on the site. "Family member just received a phone call from a brother on the team," another comments, adding credence to the assertion. "Hope we get some pix of this," he posts later. "Hey... maybe if the Delta force wipes out this scum.. there will be less people living off the taxpayers dollars."

Overt racist classism aside -- and disregarding the puerile absurdity of comparing the dehydrated and starving and largely unarmed citizens of New Orleans to East African Muslims who killed 19 American soldiers on October 3, 1993 -- the rumor Delta Force killers were dropped into New Orleans makes perfect sense, especially if New Orleans is to serve as an incubator for police state tactics to come. The Total Information web site comments:

On Thursday, there was a report on the net Delta Force had just dropped into New Orleans. This was at about the same time this website noticed a couple helicopters full of unidentified troops being dropped off the helipad at the Superdome. If the "Delta Force" story is true (and even Army Times says forces are engaging in combat in New Orleans), or another small special ops force were dropped into New Orleans, they would be well placed, for provocateuring more than anything else. Such as laying down sniper fire on boats evacuating patients from a hospital or setting fires, or sniping at firefighters.

Wikipedia describes Delta Force as follows: "The 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (Airborne) (1st SFOD-D (A)), commonly known as Delta or Delta Force, is a Special Operations Force (SOF) of the United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC). The force's main remit is counter-terrorism, although it is extremely versatile. Delta Force is believed to conduct missions similar to those regularly attributed to the British Special Air Service (SAS), after which Delta Force was modeled, the Israeli Sayeret Matkal, the U.S. Navy's DEVGRU, Germany's GSG-9, France's GIGN, and other elite counter-terrorism forces worldwide."

In other words, the government believes there are terrorists in New Orleans -- and those terrorists are the citizens who refuse to leave and may be resisting heavy-handed military tactics to depopulate the city in advance of draining the toxic swamp and bulldozing entire neighborhoods (obviously, the homes in New Orleans will have to be demolished due to flood damage, but you can rest assured the government does not plan to rebuild homes for poor people).

It should be noted and of concern that Delta Force played a role in the massacre of civilians at Waco. "Delta Force... had been enlisted as part of the assault team on the Branch Davidian Compound. It appears that President Clinton had signed a waiver of the Posse Comitatus Act, with the precedent being Ronald Reagan's revocation of the Act in 1987, allowing the Delta Force to be involved in suppressing the Atlanta prison riot," writes Counterpunch. "Because rumors of a Branch Davidian drug lab were floated at Waco (they later turned out to be false), use of Delta Force troops as advisers in the raid may be legally justifiable," notes Matt Alsdorf. "In fact, it is already public record that other parts of the military assisted in planning the raid and providing equipment. But the level of Delta Force participation remains unknown. If Delta commandos are found to have played an active role in the raid, their participation may have crossed the line."

But then Bush -- or his neocon handlers -- are all about crossing the line. In fact, the situation in New Orleans is a custom-made excuse to further degrade the Posse Comitatus Act.

Ah, the Left, a nutty storyline for any occassion....

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 12, 2005 4:59 PM
Comments

We now know where Krugman gets his story ideas.

Posted by: Luciferous at September 12, 2005 5:29 PM

Who knew that Perlstein has adopted a nom de plume?

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 12, 2005 5:43 PM

Denny @ Grouchy Old Cripple posted this, I think it says it all:

It also makes the case for not rebuilding below the water line.

Posted by: Sandy P [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 6:39 PM

Will everybody please provide links instead pasting in the URL. Trying to copy using IE is almost impossible.

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 6:45 PM

Don't know how, erp.

Too bad, just found an interesting op-ed via Lucianne:

Blanco's Blocks Caused Bedlam
by Sher Zieve
Sep 12, 2005

As more information continues to dribble out, in reference to the breakdowns in emergency plans surrounding Hurricane Katrina (you won't hear it from many-if-any mainstream press sources), one person in the middle of the debacle stands out--Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco.

SNIP

Posted by: Sandy P [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 7:01 PM

Simple HTML for those who think 2+2=5

Links:
<a href="http://thenation.com/">the land that time forgot</a> becomes the land that time forgot. Don't forget to add the "http://" at the beginning, or it will point to a non-existent webpage here.

Italics are wrapped in <i> and </i>, like this.

You can also indent with <blockquote> and </blockquote>. Useful for those long cut-and-paste jobs where you should have provided a link.

It even works over paragraph breaks, if youprovide your own <p> tags.

And you can use <b> and </b> to make stuff, even single characters, bold.

I'll leave a list of all the special characters, like ™ or © (&#8482; and &copy;) or even < and & (&lt; and &amp;) as an exercise for the student.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 12, 2005 7:59 PM

erp: the answer is to stop using IE. Click here, it will take you to the Mozilla home page from which you can down load Firefox, which is free, fast, and loaded with features (tabbed browsing, type ahead find, right click to search). P.S. it also prints accurately.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 8:32 PM

Do I understand this guy correctly. Is he saying that Free Republic is a site of, by, and for right wing racist cranks, and they were saying that Delta Force was sent to NO? And he was taking that seriously. Drugs are bad for you.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 8:46 PM

Robert, I don't feel comfortable making such a major change. If I don't like it, can I go back to IE. Also, if I change my laptop, how does that affect the PC my husband uses.

I have so many questions. Do I still need to run a virus scan, spyware, etc.? How about Outlook Express for email?

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 9:00 PM

Explorer is a tool of Satan.

Posted by: oj at September 12, 2005 9:03 PM

I was very hesitant to change my browser too. To the point I was using an old Netscape browswer than couldn't handle maybe 15% of the pages I visited. I finally tried Firefox and it works great. I was afraid it'd be hard to change interfaces, but it was seamless....however, this might have to do with going from Netscape to FF, I don't know what an IE user will experience.

Posted by: RC at September 12, 2005 9:39 PM

Nirvana

Posted by: Rick Ballard at September 12, 2005 9:53 PM

I have Firefox on the home machine and IE at the office 'cause that's company issue. I don't mind IE, but the 'Fox is better. When I first got Firefox, I wasn't all that impressed because I didn't realize how the tabs worked. Once I caught on to tabbing, I forgot the home machine ever had Netscape and IE.

Posted by: Mike Morley at September 12, 2005 9:56 PM

erp:

Also, using IE, you can right click, select all, right click, copy, then drop down to the comments box, paste, and easily highlight and snip out just the bit that you want.

Inelegant, but functional.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 10:45 PM

erp,
I switched to Firefox several months ago and love it. Others who use my computer still use IE. It isn't an either or situation. Downloading was very easy and it imports your Favorites and installs the important things like Media Player and Adobe for you. You'll be using it in 5 minutes or so. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.

Posted by: Patrick H at September 13, 2005 12:13 AM

I'll try installing Firefox this weekend.

Michael that's what I do, but I paste it into a Word document and I frequently get the message not enough memory or some other rot.

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2005 9:04 AM

I run Firefox/Thuderbird on the little eMacs and the G5s at the office, since my distaste for Safari is almost as high as my dislike of IE. But I'm trying out the Firefox-based Netscape 8.0 on my laptop, and so far its worked fairly well, since it has an IE emulation program that switches to the Bill Gates default mode when it runs into one of those annoying webpages that demands an IE browser.

The 8.0 program just updated itself over the weekend to v 8.03.3, so I'm waiting to see if there are any errant time bombs placed in the new version.

Posted by: John at September 13, 2005 9:34 AM

"If I don't like it, can I go back to IE."

Yes. Firefox does not delete IE.

"Also, if I change my laptop, how does that affect the PC my husband uses."

Not at all.

"Do I still need to run a virus scan, spyware, etc.?"

Yes, on anti-virus. But your risk of a virus is lower.

"How about Outlook Express for email?"

Mozilla also has a mail program called Thunderbird. It is optional.

"It's a love/hate relationship with IE, but it's one that I've learned to live with."

Like a bad marriage? Think of Firefox as a divorce lawyer.

"I paste it into a Word document and I frequently get the message not enough memory or some other rot."

That is very peculiar. You may be suffering from some other computer malady.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2005 9:44 AM
« BOY, PAKISTAN REALLY IS ISRAEL: | Main | ALL WE ARE SAYING, GIVE THE NEXT POL POT A CHANCE: »