September 21, 2005

THE ANTI-BLANCO:

Barbour steers Mississippi toward recovery (Guy Taylor, September 21, 2005, THE WASHINGTON TIMES)

Flood-ravaged New Orleans has dominated press coverage and political debate in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, though neighboring Mississippi took the full brunt of the storm's fury, leaving more than 10,000 residents homeless.

"We're not into whining or moping around or victimhood," said Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who has avoided the blame game that started in Louisiana as soon as Katrina made landfall.

The Republican governor remains optimistic, insisting that somewhere in the hurricane's devastation is "an opportunity to build the Gulf Coast back bigger and better than ever before."

Even if it's just the one-eyed man effect, he towers over the pols next door.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 21, 2005 8:14 AM
Comments

With a 'D' after her name, Blanco could have made herself into a national candidate and potential VP pick at the very least had she handled the Katrina situation with anywhere near the aplomb Barbour has shown in Mississippi or Jeb Bush showed a year ago when the quartet of hurricanes struck Florida. As for Haley, his work as RNC Chairman during Clinton 1 disqualifies him from getting anything more than cursory credit for the state's relief efforts in the media, but the fact he is the former RNC boss yet hasn't been demonized by the same media for Mississippi's efforts shows how much more successful Mississippi has been with its recovery, three weeks down the line.

Posted by: John at September 21, 2005 9:01 AM

I hope Haley has one change in mind in his attempt to rebuild the Mississippi Gulf Coast "bigger and better than ever before".

Please cancel any ideas of rebuilding -anything- on the flood plain or in the path of a storm surge from a cat4 hurricane.

I'm from a red state, but I don't want my home insurance premiums to go thru the roof to pay for rebuilding some casino where it can be washed away again.

Posted by: John J. Coupal at September 21, 2005 9:52 AM

Barbour is hard to understand sometimes. He needs to work on that think southern accent.

Posted by: erp at September 21, 2005 9:54 AM

What accent?

Posted by: Luciferous at September 21, 2005 1:35 PM

ERP: I'm a native Mississippian, but sometimes even I have trouble understanding him! I've heard that the accent decreases noticeably when he's not speaking for domestic consumption, though.

Posted by: Atlee Breland at September 21, 2005 1:54 PM

Atlee, not so. When he was chairman of the RNC, I liked him and what he said, but he wasn't understandable. BTW-in my previous post, I meant to refer to his "thick" accent, not what somehow got printed.

Posted by: erp at September 21, 2005 3:32 PM
« IMAGINE HOW SAFE A HUGE PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT WOULD MAKE NEW ORLEANS?: | Main | FLIPPED AXIS: »