August 19, 2005

MAN, HE WAS THAT NIGHT:

Singer sensed the danger: Unreal scene was suddenly all too real when gun was fired (Gwen Florio, August 19, 2005, Rocky Mountain News)

It was, at first, just a weird feeling.

"An abstraction," Marc Cohn called it.

"There was a sense of danger. Something was unstable where we were."

Cohn, the Grammy-award winning musician, was heading back to the Monaco Hotel on 16th Street after he and his band had performed at the Denver Botanic Gardens on Aug. 7. It wasn't even midnight; far too early for things to feel so creepy.

Then Cohn heard the footsteps, sprinting, coming on fast. Almost as soon as he'd registered the guy, Cohn saw the gun in his hand, and nothing was abstract anymore. Not the shot. Not the van's windshield shattering around him. And not the blood, so much blood.

"It was all over my hands. And my clothes. And I realized I was the one who'd been hit," said Cohn, best known for his hit song Walking In Memphis.

Twelve days after he was shot in the head, Cohn is talking publicly about what happened to him in Denver.

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 19, 2005 6:26 AM
Comments

I'm sorry he got shot, but Walking in Memphis is on my short list of Songs to Torture Terrorists To.

Posted by: Governor Breck at August 19, 2005 10:37 AM

It's got one of the best lines in pop history: There's a pretty little thing waitin' for the King down in the Jungle Room.

Posted by: oj at August 19, 2005 10:51 AM

Yes, that's as good as the line from Killing Me Softly:
I felt all flushed with fever
Embarrased by the crowd,
I felt he found my letters and read each one out loud,
I pray that he would finish
But he just kept right on

Posted by: Governor Breck at August 19, 2005 11:03 AM

Blech.

Posted by: AllenS at August 19, 2005 11:08 AM

I thought I hated that song as much as it was possible to, until I recently found out who she's referring to in it. Don F***in McLean!

Posted by: oj at August 19, 2005 11:08 AM

Side note: Lower Downtown Denver (Lodo) is supposed to be the safe playground where yuppies and half-naked college kids go to get drunk and dance. You're not supposed to get carjacked at the 16th Street Mall. Very bad publicity juju this was.

Posted by: joe shropshire at August 19, 2005 11:45 AM
« AND THIS IS AUGUST (via Kevin Whited): | Main | EVERY FAITH IS ENTITLED TO AN INQUISITION: »