August 18, 2005

DO WE REALLY NEED TO SIT THROUGH IT AGAIN? (via Governor Breck):

Austria to extend work ban for EU newcomers (Lucia Kubosova, 18.08.2005, EU Observer)

Austria is to extend a ban for workers from new EU countries for another three years, with a possibility of applying a maximum transition period of seven years until 2011.

According to the Austrian economy minister Martin Bartenstein, who confirmed the postponement until 2009, the next decision will depend on his country’s employment situation, APA agency reported.

Vienna is one of 12 West European capitals applying the allowed measures against the free movement of newcomers to their labour markets.

But while some countries – like Germany - announced right away that they would use the whole seven years period, Austria chose to evaluate its job situation gradually and move along the scheme agreed at the EU level (2-3-2 years of the transitional measures).

On the other hand, the UK, Ireland and Sweden have opened their borders to new member state workers, and have seen quite a significant increase of migrants from new member states.

Observing Europe these days is like watching a remake of a really bad movie. We all know how it ends: the reasonably decent countries --England and Spain -- expel their immigrants; the indecent ones -- Germany and France -- feed their into ovens; and Italy -- whatever it decides to do -- turns it into opefa bouffe.

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 18, 2005 12:54 PM
Comments

Britain opened its border?

Really?

IIRC, not to Polish plumbers.

Posted by: Sandy P at August 18, 2005 1:39 PM

Remember, the first time is tragedy, the second time is farce. We've earned our farce and I, for one, intend to enjoy it.

Posted by: David Cohen at August 18, 2005 2:47 PM

I just don't want the US to get stuck in another Pan-European murder fest.
I am reminded of an old politcal cartoon that shows a pack of fighting cats labelled "Europe's Warring Nations." In the background FDR tries to peddle a bandaged Uncle Sam a suitcase labelled "Meddling in Europe" and Uncle Sam says, "Nix!"
I know we will get involved, and that's probably to our credit, but still, I can't look at what's going on over there without a little bit of dread.

Posted by: Governor Breck at August 18, 2005 5:14 PM

Gov:

It depends who the President is at the time. Can't you just see McCain telling them - "We'll come over and settle your hash right now, you lily-livered snots!". Remember, he wanted ground troops in Serbia.

Bush might say: "The Europeans are acting, well, very European. The UN needs to act like the UN, and stop them."

Hillary might say - "Now, I have a domestic agenda to attend to, so I am going to kick your useless arses back to the Stone Age because I am the smartest woman in the world".

And John Kerry would say - "The horror, the horror. Please make it stop."

Posted by: jim hamlen at August 18, 2005 9:47 PM

And Dr. Dean would say, "Howard Dean smash! Yeeargh!"

Posted by: Governor Breck at August 19, 2005 11:27 AM

John Edwards would love it - he could represent both sides and make a fortune.

"Let me share with you the feelings of all those poor, confused civilians who died in the flames....."

"I know the rage that unjust social policy brings".

"My fellow Americans, here tonight we see two Europes, fighting for survival".

His wife, of course, would just shoot them all.

Posted by: ratbert at August 19, 2005 3:17 PM
« WE WILL TRAIN OUR BLUE-EYED MEN (via Kevin Whited): | Main | AND NO GITMO CONTROVERSY: »