August 23, 2005

AND NO ONE BELIEVES HE'S ONLY 47:

Birthday means nothing to Franco: He doesn't care he's oldest (DAVID O'BRIEN, 08/23/05, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

The oldest player in baseball turns 47 today, but Julio Franco won't be eating cake or opening presents.

"Just another day," said the Braves first baseman, who has no special plans. "Cakes? I don't eat cake. I don't celebrate birthdays. Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, Father's Day, the Christmas tree at Christmas time. ... All man-made holidays.

"I don't need to wait for someone to tell me it's a holiday or a day to eat turkey; I eat turkey almost every day. I don't need to wait to buy something for someone. If I see a bouquet of flowers I want to buy for my wife, I buy it."

No one ever said the spiritual Franco was a conventional thinker.

The man gets up to drink a protein shake at 3 a.m., one of eight meals he spreads throughout the day. He believes diet, exercise, discipline and — most importantly — the Lord are his keys to longevity.

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 23, 2005 10:03 AM
Comments

Even with as many rookies as the Braves have used this year, factor in Franco and the team's average age probably comes in somewhere in the middle of the pack (though even Julio by his lonesome can't lift the Braves' average age to that of the New York Yankees original starting pitching rotation for the 2005 season).

Posted by: John at August 23, 2005 10:25 AM

He believes diet, exercise, discipline and most importantly the Lord are his keys to longevity.

And he is absolutely correct.

The "eight small meals" deal is the most healthful way to eat, although not convenient to the rhythm of modern lifestyles.

If by "not eating cake", he means "no refined sugar", then he's right about the health and longevity benefits of that, as well.

"The Lord" can be generalized as serenity, optimism, and general spirituality - one doesn't need to belong to an organized religion to reap benefits from those attributes, although it helps.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen at August 23, 2005 11:59 AM

My initial thought was that the article was about old Francisco Bahamonde. The headline would still hold true.

Posted by: ed at August 23, 2005 12:03 PM

I thought, given OJ's predilections, that the title of the article was referring to the Generalissimo. I was prepared to point out that he is still dead. Oh well.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at August 23, 2005 2:07 PM

Almost makes him sound like a Jehovah's Witness, with all the no holidays or birthdays going on.

Posted by: John Thacker at August 23, 2005 3:34 PM