July 1, 2005

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH CHIZOU:

Thousands riot in China, attack police, burn cars (Reuters, June 29, 2005)

Thousands of Chinese rioted in a dispute sparked by a lopsided roadside brawl, set fire to cars and wounded six police officers in an outburst likely to worry communist leaders in Beijing desperate to cling on to power.

The official Xinhua news agency, in a rare report on a local disturbance, blamed Sunday's riot in Chizhou in dirt-poor eastern Anhui province on a few criminals who led the "unwitting masses" astray.

Why can't people in farm states ever figure out what's good for them? Why must the Left tell them?

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 1, 2005 1:34 PM
Comments

I concede I don't know much of anything about internal Chinese politics. But my impression was that Tienanmen ended a pro-democracy movement that was largely composed of urban students, and the gov't had to bring in rural army units to crush it. Now it seems that stories indicate substantial unrest in the poor, rural areas, and the urban areas are happy because they've seen substantial economic improvement. So tell me again why we're supposed to think that a tiny clique of 80 year old men are going to be able to hold China together and turn it into a superpower?

Posted by: b at July 1, 2005 1:42 PM

When have we ever not bought Yellow Menace fictions?

Posted by: oj at July 1, 2005 1:49 PM

China is toast.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at July 1, 2005 2:09 PM

China is toast.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at July 1, 2005 2:10 PM

I've got a killer case of the scoots from some bad Chinese food eaten for lunch. Right now, I'm buying into Chinese Peril myth. But I could be just talking out my ass.

Posted by: Governor Breck at July 1, 2005 2:24 PM

Gov:

overshare

Posted by: oj at July 1, 2005 2:32 PM

Anyone who posts a list of historical figures whose prison wife he wants to be doesn't know the meaning of overshare.

Posted by: Governor Breck at July 1, 2005 4:27 PM

C'mon, everyone thinks about it--can't tell me you've never turned to someone when you were watching tv and said: "I'd be his bitch." ?

Posted by: oj at July 1, 2005 4:32 PM

Yes we can.

Posted by: Peter B at July 1, 2005 5:03 PM

Peter:

I've watched your eyes get all misty during Due South...

Posted by: oj at July 1, 2005 5:16 PM

China is already a superpower, and it's likely that China, or some descendant part thereof, will be among the Earth's five most powerful nations in 2100.

The question is whether they will be able to challenge the U.S. for supremacy during the 21st century.

My guess is that they will not.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen at July 1, 2005 6:43 PM

That's the one with the Mountie, right?

Posted by: joe shropshire at July 1, 2005 7:00 PM

Superpower? They have no influence on political affairs outside their borders and an economy a fraction the size of ours.

Posted by: oj at July 1, 2005 7:02 PM

joe:

good one

Posted by: oj at July 1, 2005 7:06 PM

China has considerable influence around Asia, and their economy is on an upward trajectory, vs. a downward one for five of the G-8.

What would you call a nuclear nation that's growing more powerful ?

By your objections, only the U.S. could be considered a superpower, which is obviously incorrect.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen at July 3, 2005 12:00 PM

mh: care to elaborate on the influence china has ? they are certainly having an effect on the region, but mostly in driving other countries into closer co-operation with the u.s. even vietnam is now cosying up to us, while japan is positively giddy at
the propsect of being our best buddy there :)

Posted by: cjm at July 3, 2005 11:39 PM
« GERMANY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN DIVIDED IF ONLY WE'D KEPT HITLER IN POWER: | Main | PURPOSEFUL: »