June 21, 2005

WHERE ARE THE FIVE FISHES WHEN YOU NEED THEM:

'Infertility time bomb' warning (Michelle Roberts, 6/21/05, BBC News)

Infertility is set to double in Europe over the next decade, a leading UK fertility expert has warned.

One in seven couples now has trouble conceiving naturally, but Professor Bill Ledger from Sheffield University warned this could rise to one in three.

He told a European fertility conference that women should be offered career breaks so they could have children younger, when they are more fertile.

Obesity and sex infections were also increasing infertility, he said.

The incidence of chlamydia, a sexually transmitted infection which carries a risk of infertility, has doubled over the last decade - and 6% of girls under the age of 19 are currently classed as obese.

A potential rise in male infertility could also affect couples, Professor Ledger said. Both the quality and quantity of sperm appeared to be in decline.

Instead of 1984, schoolkids should be brought up on The Children of Men.

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 21, 2005 8:56 AM
Comments

Ape pagan culture and folkways, go the way of the pagans.

Posted by: Lou Gots at June 21, 2005 10:37 AM

I just bought The Children of Men yesterday at the used book store - I'll move it to the top of my read pile since its getting so much press around here.

Posted by: Shelton at June 21, 2005 11:09 AM

OJ:
I know you think video games are the tools of the Devil, but I really think you'd dig Half Life 2, all about an alien invasion that starts off by supressing the human sex drive. They figure that the easiest way to tame humans is to supress their desire to reproduce. It's pretty simplistic, but it's turning out to be one of the more conservative video games I've played.

Posted by: Governor Breck at June 21, 2005 1:53 PM

Reminds me of The Screwfly Solution.

Posted by: Shelton at June 21, 2005 1:59 PM

After we clean up Africa, we'll have to send Europe diet pills and penicillin.

Posted by: AllenS at June 21, 2005 4:54 PM

Good idea, dreadful book. Turgid writing, and the main character (Theo) is just a tad less likable than John Kerry. The Five Fishes? Call me when they grow up.

Posted by: Steve White at June 21, 2005 10:38 PM
« COMING UP NEXT ON LARRY KING LIVE | Main | LIKE BEING A LITTLE BIT PREGNANT: »