June 20, 2005

THE PRIDE OF BUTCHER HOLLER:

Biden to Seek Presidential Nomination: Senator Says He Plans to Run in 2008 Unless He Has Little Chance of Winning (Dan Balz, June 20, 2005, Washington Post)

Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.) said yesterday he plans to seek the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 unless he decides later this year that he has little chance of winning.

"My intention is to seek the nomination," Biden said on CBS's "Face the Nation." "I know I'm supposed to be more coy with you. I know I'm supposed to tell you, you know, that I'm not sure. But if, in fact, I think that I have a clear shot at winning the nomination by this November or December, then I'm going to seek the nomination."

Biden said he plans to spend the year road-testing a message to see whether his views are compatible with a majority of Democrats while evaluating whether he can raise the money needed to compete in a race that is widely expected to include Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), a prodigious fundraiser.

"I've proceeded since last November as if I were going to run," he said. "I'm quite frankly going out, seeing whether I can gather the kind of support."

Which would explain the string of innovative policy speeches he's been giving on SS reform, health care, taxes, etc. and the legislation he's passed this year.

MORE:
From the same story comes this bit on John McCain virtually declaring his candidacy as well:

[Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)] will turn 72 in 2008 and would be the oldest person ever elected if he became president that year. He also has been treated for melanoma, a skin cancer, but he indicated that he does not believe either issue presents a serious obstacle to running at this point.

"My health is excellent," he said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "You have had the pleasure of meeting my 93-year-old mother. So my genes, I think, are pretty good. But that would obviously be a factor in this decision-making process. There's no doubt about that."

McCain also sought to counter impressions that he has parted company frequently with Bush on key issues. "I strongly disagree with any assertion that I've been more at odds with the president of the United States than I have been in agreement with him."

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 20, 2005 3:59 PM
Comments

All It Takes.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at June 20, 2005 4:01 PM

Bah. Meant What It Takes, Cramer's magnificent book.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at June 20, 2005 4:11 PM

Biden?

Posted by: Luciferous at June 20, 2005 4:26 PM

I reckon Sen. Biden has about as the same chance of electoral success as Mr. Kinnock had. May Loretta Lynn forgive you the reference.

Posted by: Rick T. at June 20, 2005 4:32 PM

"Senator Says He Plans to Run in 2008 Unless He Has Little Chance of Winning"

Was "Unless" a typo for "Although"?

Posted by: AC at June 20, 2005 4:32 PM

Yep. Cozying up to Bush is a definate feint towards running. And yet, he won't run.

Posted by: David Cohen at June 20, 2005 4:40 PM

Does that wall have a permanent imprint of your head?

Posted by: oj at June 20, 2005 5:05 PM

After watching his performance on "Meet the Press" yesterday, I believe he could possibly get elected, but after 4 years, republicans would be begging for a true conservative to replace him. His views on Gitmo, global warming, stem cell research and Roe v Wade are not conservative. If he doesn't get the Republican nomination and runs as an independent the republican candidate will be toast. It'll be 1992 all over again.

Posted by: Patrick H at June 20, 2005 5:52 PM

And Vice President Bush would be positioned to succeed him.

Posted by: oj at June 20, 2005 6:05 PM

Yeah, McCain would split the base.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at June 20, 2005 6:53 PM

Ali,
I don't think he'd split the base. I think he would get the "big tent" moderates and hawkish/sane dems. The general election could end up 40-30-30 with the 40 being the Dem.

Posted by: Patrick H at June 20, 2005 7:27 PM

Patrick you just laid it out. That's why the Dems aren't trying to appeal to moderates and Dean is being allowed to say outrageous things, ditto Reid, Durbin, Clinton, etc. They are moving left so they can consolidate their base of 40% of voters and their rhetoric will just keep getting wilder and wilder.

Will McCain heed the siren song of running as a maverick in a national campaign. Do ducks have lips?

I've been reading that McCain won't be a third party candidate because unlike Perot, he doesn't have enough money. What they're forgetting is that Soros has even more money than Perot and he and his fellow billionaires have repeatedly said they want to elect a Democrat in 2008. What better way than to split the 60% of the voters not died-in-the-wool leftoids.

This will work. Remember no Democrat won in a straight forward two-man race since Truman. Kennedy as we know, stole the election from Nixon, and Johnson's election in the wake of the post-assassination hysteria and the unparalleled sliming of Goldwater couldn't really be categorized as a victory for the Democratic party.

Posted by: erp at June 20, 2005 8:45 PM

Strom Thurmond ran in 1948, and actually won 4.1 states.

Carter was the last Democrat to win a majority in a two-man race, although if the election had been a week later, Ford probably would have won.

The Democrats (as currently constituted) are just as vulnerable if a true leftie candidate runs a third-party campaign. The present Red states would (almost exclusively) be unaffected, but probably 10 Blue states (PA, MN, WI, NH, OR, WA, etc.) would suddenly be ripe for a GOP pick-up if some Nader type swooped in 4% of the nominal Democratic vote.

If the strategy of Soros and Peter Lewis and Hollywood is to split the GOP, then Ken Mehlman (and Karl Rove) should be well prepared to run Condi. Her candidacy would be historic, and would forestall any 'independent' challenges, especially if President Bush endorses her with enthusiasm.

Posted by: jim hamlen at June 20, 2005 8:56 PM

I forgot to add that Biden is dumber than his hair plugs (and Wesley Clark), and deserves whatever he gets from Chris Lehane.

Posted by: jim hamlen at June 20, 2005 8:58 PM

Wasn't Joe Biden the guy who got caught plagiarizing old Kennedy speeches back in '88?

Posted by: Governor Breck at June 21, 2005 8:01 AM

Another Senator from a state smaller than Ocean County NJ thinks he has the right stuff to be President. LOL!

Biden, who finished second to last in his law school class, is so stupid that he doesn't understand that when you do plagiarize someone else's speech, you plagiarize that of a candidate who ACTUALLY WON THE DAMN ELECTION.

McCain will not run as a Third Party candidate, unless the GOP nominates a complete weirdo to be its nominee. He has a big ego but he clearly is no Jeffords, but is instead a Republican. And if a McCain loyalist like Lindsay Graham or Mark Sanford were nominated VP by the weirdo, he wouldn't go off half-cocked either.

The Democratic strategy appears to be to sit back and wait for GOP self-immolation. That got a lot of GOP Presidents elected in the postwar years but I doubt whether it would work today.

Posted by: bart at June 21, 2005 8:46 AM