June 15, 2005

IT'S OFFICIAL:

Bush remains mum about potential political plans (Gary Fineout, 6/15/05, Tallahassee Democrat)

Gov. Jeb Bush, the Miami developer turned the most powerful governor in Florida history, said Tuesday that he does not know what he will do with his life once his second term in office ends in January 2007.

Bush has consistently ruled out running for president in 2008. He told a group of 300 high school girls gathered in the House chamber of the Capitol that while he remains unsure about his own future, he plans to return to his hometown of Miami.

His remarks come at a time that national publications continue to tout him as a potential Republican candidate for president, or even vice president.

"My plans are really up in the air," said Bush, who is barred from seeking a third consecutive term as governor. "I really take my job seriously. I love my job. It's like the greatest thing I ever had a chance to do, so I want to finish strong."

He added: "I happen to believe that God has a plan for all of us." [...]

When asked after the session about whether he would be willing to run for vice president in 2008, as suggested Tuesday by a columnist writing for the Washington Post, Bush sighed and then said, "I've got 565 days, and I intend to work as hard as I can to do my job."

When asked again about whether he would turn down a vice presidential spot, Bush then said, "Please, leave me alone. I'm not going to say anything more than what I've said, and I've said it pretty consistently."

They're a ticket.

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 15, 2005 7:35 PM
Comments

VP for sure. I don't think a major party has decided the bottom half of the ticket first before.

Posted by: Bob at June 15, 2005 8:53 PM

Bob: You're half-right. Condi's got the VP pick sewn up, unless she's at the top of the ticket...

Posted by: b at June 15, 2005 9:27 PM

Along with all the other things that are wrong with this, let's remember that at this same point in President Bush's first term, 9/11 was still 90 days in the future and we were all sure that President Bush would be remembered for ... for .... Huh. What was the 2000 election about?

Posted by: David Cohen at June 15, 2005 10:32 PM

Tax cuts, NCLB, SS Reform, CFR, prescription drug plan for Medicare, life issues.

9-11 has been a net negative.

Posted by: oj at June 15, 2005 10:38 PM

Who would help the ticket more, Condi or Jeb? Can Condi deliver even one state? Can Jeb?

I like Condi. She would make a good backup VP choice. Jeb just brings much more to the ticket.

Plus, a prince always is ahead of a princess in the succession of a dynasty.

Posted by: Bob at June 16, 2005 12:29 PM

Condi will have to clear up her abortion position to be acceptable

Posted by: oj at June 16, 2005 1:05 PM

Bob:

Succession goes by birth order, regarless of gender, (since the 1970's) in Sweden and (since last year) in Great Britain.

BUSH*ROMNEY '08

Posted by: Dave W. at June 16, 2005 8:40 PM

OJ:

Bush's positions on all those other issues certainly are right, strongly stated, and well fought for (although slowly sometimes). But 9/11 and its aftermath have made him historical in a way that domestic issues simply cannot.

LBJ could have been a domestic hero, but wound up a braying goat. FDR would have been a domestic goat, but wound up an international icon. Bush is so enraging to left because he trumps them both at home and overseas, and they know it.

Posted by: jim hamlen at June 16, 2005 10:35 PM

Yes, it's helpful a hundred years from now, but war is bad politics in a democracy.

Posted by: oj at June 16, 2005 10:39 PM

Although it's a little uncomfortable to talk about, 9/11 was clearly a political positive for the Republicans. Just look at the mid-terms. Iraq has been a net negative.

Posted by: David Cohen at June 17, 2005 8:15 AM

The midterms had little or nothing to do with 9-11. The natural GOP majority in the Senate is 60 seats.

Posted by: oj at June 17, 2005 8:22 AM
« BETTER BLACK AND RED: | Main | WHAT DO YOU CALL A GUY WHO BETS AGAINST HIS OWN COUNTRY?: »