June 15, 2005

BLUE VALUES (via Lisa Fleischman):

Mother of mauling victim feared family dog: Shut boy in basement while she ran errands (AP, June 13, 2005)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The mother of a 12-year-old boy killed in his own home by one of the family's two pit bulls says she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

Maureen Faibish said she ordered Nicholas to stay in the basement while she did errands on June 3, the day he was attacked by one or both of the dogs.

She said she was worried about the male dog, Rex, who was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat.

"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: 'Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me." [...]

Faibish found her son's body in a bedroom. He was covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury.

No charges have been filed.

"It's Nicky's time to go," she said in the interview. "When you're born you're destined to go and this was his time."

Ah, San Francisco, where Rex is king and stupid Nicky's time had come...

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 15, 2005 12:44 PM
Comments

When I was twelve I was mauled by our family dog Daisy on Christmas Day. (There was a rumor, of a tumor nestled at the base of her brain). Spent Christmas vacation having reconstructive surgery performed. Daisy got put to sleep. This poor kid Nicky died one of the most horrible deaths possible. Stupid mother.

Posted by: Governor Breck at June 15, 2005 12:57 PM

Pit Bulls should be illegal.

Posted by: Timothy at June 15, 2005 1:23 PM

Why wasn't this kid wasn't aborted 12 years ago? The city council must have been slack.

Posted by: at June 15, 2005 1:28 PM

My dad got bit in the testicles by a German shepherd when he was a young paper-delivery boy. I'm lucky to be here.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at June 15, 2005 1:28 PM

A *normal* dog owner would have kenneled the male dog - in a dog run or in a crate. Or boarded the bitch until she was out of season. Not confined HER CHILD. Not to mention training, socialization, correct pack order (humans on top, dogs below). Unbelieveable.

Posted by: Kay in CA at June 15, 2005 1:41 PM

Matt: Your dad wasn't by any chance a gorilla catcher, was he?

Posted by: at June 15, 2005 1:51 PM

Timothy: Like SUV's you mean? Irresponsible dog owners, pit bulls included, should be put down. Dog owners (of ANY breed) who train or allow their animal to exhibit aggressive behavior should be handled legally as if they knowingly possess a deadly weapon.

Full Disclosure: I own a red-nosed bully who is extremely aware of her position in the pack and the food chain.

Posted by: John Resnick at June 15, 2005 1:53 PM

Dogs should pull sleds.

Posted by: oj at June 15, 2005 1:56 PM

OJ: Does a skateboard count?

Posted by: John Resnick at June 15, 2005 2:09 PM

Dogs should maul skateboarders.

Posted by: oj at June 15, 2005 2:26 PM

Was Daisy an Eagle Scout too?

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at June 15, 2005 2:34 PM

So she locks the kid in the basement instead of the dog - nice. I'm surprised charges haven't been filed yet. I remember that big case in SF a couple years ago that resulted in a 25 to life for a dog owner whose pooch killed a neighbor lady. Though in that case the victim was gay. I guess the DA is checking out the family's voting record before he decides if the death was communally beneficial or not.

Posted by: Shelton at June 15, 2005 3:02 PM

Sounds bad, but we don't know what the basement was like. Growing up we had a full finished basement. My bedroom was down there, my bathroom too. There was a big living room. The office with computer. Several other spare bedrooms, etc.

Posted by: RC at June 15, 2005 3:07 PM

Dog? HoiSin sauce

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at June 15, 2005 3:36 PM

I prefer stir-fried grasshoppers with beer myself.

Posted by: X at June 15, 2005 3:58 PM

John-- If SUV's start breaking out of their garages and mauling children, then yes, they should be banned. Gun's don't kill people, people kill people. But so do pit bulls, and there's no one pulling the trigger but the pit bull. If we don't ban them, how about a competency test for a special license, to continue the SUV comparison.

Posted by: Timothy at June 15, 2005 4:01 PM

John: Did you really mean "Irresponsible dog owners . . . should be put down." I'm all for capital punishment, but that does seem a little harsh.

Posted by: David Cohen at June 15, 2005 4:22 PM

John, a pit bull is an animal that acts on its own. An SUV has a driver and cannot act on its own.

Posted by: pchuck at June 15, 2005 4:35 PM

But Audis can, no?

Posted by: jim hamlen at June 15, 2005 4:41 PM

If Herby goes nuts, I say we pull the engine. Starring with Lindsay Lohan is certainly not a good sign.

Posted by: Timothy at June 15, 2005 4:45 PM

"No charges have been filed"!!

Why?

This woman was guilty of criminal negligence. And the victim was her own son.

Posted by: Josh Silverman at June 15, 2005 4:45 PM

Pchuck & Timothy: the SUV analogy is admittedly flawed, but was meant to illustrate that the term "Pit Bull" seems to be an easy target. Lots of breeds have stupid owners and are capable and guilty of mauling humans. Pit Bulls, like SUV's, have become an easy target. Would my tame, obedient Irish Bull Terrior fall under Timothy's same ban for a "Pit Bull"?

David: You're right. Locked in the basement with their rabid, ill-mannered dogs would be better.

Josh: My point exactly.

Posted by: John Resnick at June 15, 2005 6:13 PM

Compare this link to this one, this one and this one, and you'll see my reasoning.

Posted by: Timothy at June 15, 2005 8:00 PM

Your point is stronger if you use "attack" instead. These dogs' owners should be forced to shoot them themselves, then go serve prison time.

Posted by: John Resnick at June 15, 2005 8:29 PM

As a general rule, I prefer woofers to 12 year olds. However, this case is disgraceful. A poorly socialized pit bull will behave badly and should be put down.

When a dog cannot function in society among people, the reason is that the people who are its custodians have failed in their responsibility. There are cases of timberwolves, who have been raised as household pets, behaving with no more of a threatening manner than your average Lhasa Apso. There is nothing inherently wrong with the pit bull, when they misbehave it is simply a matter of poor training and socialization. Many pit bull owners try to encourage anti-social behavior of their charges. A pit bull in the proper environment would be no more dangerous than a Pekingese.

Posted by: bart at June 15, 2005 8:54 PM

"A pit bull in the proper environment would be no more dangerous than a Pekingese."

And would have more meat on it. Pass the HoiSin.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at June 15, 2005 10:42 PM

A Pekingese, in a completely improper environment, is still no more dangerous than a Pekingese.

Posted by: Timothy at June 16, 2005 11:36 AM

It is useless to talk abouit what nice doggies pit bulls can be: people own them to intimidate their neighbors. They are extremely dangerous. About 10 years ago I had to shoot two of them who were attacking a woman and her baby. About 20 years back an unleashed p.b. threatened my toddlers while we were fishing at the state park near here. I didn't have to shoot that one, just raise my shirt so that the creep who was walking it understood what was about to happen. Pit Bulls are one of the reasons I have recently resumed my status as a "man of piece," and "don't leave home without it." The damn things are everywhere in my city, and people who can't get carry papers use them as weapons..

Posted by: Lou Gots at June 17, 2005 11:37 AM