May 30, 2005

YOUR LIFE AIN'T WORTH MINE:

Cancer-Stricken US Senator Urges Expanded Stem Cell Research (Michael Bowman, 29 May 2005, VOA News)

A U.S. Senator and cancer sufferer says countless lives could be saved if the United States expanded medical research involving embryonic stem cells. President Bush has threatened to veto a bill that would broaden federal support for the controversial area of study.

Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter is a Republican ally of President Bush on Capitol Hill, but a political moderate and notoriously independent-thinker.

Said the senator: "I'd eat babies if it'd make me better."

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 30, 2005 12:55 PM
Comments

While your "quote" is tasteless, Specter is probably sicker than he has let on.

Posted by: jim hamlen at May 30, 2005 1:21 PM

karma's a bitch

Posted by: cjm at May 30, 2005 1:47 PM

We have gone, sunk, I would hold, far since the opinion of the interested was considered to have less weight than that of the detached. Do we really want our judgement on cannibalism to be determined by the inhabitants of a drifting lifeboat? I am reminded of Lincoln's riposte to a white supremacist, written through his secretary, to the effect that the opinion concerning Black enferiority to Whites would be considered only if the writer was of the Yellow or Red races, Blacks and Whites being hopelessly biased.

Posted by: Lou Gots at May 30, 2005 1:48 PM

The bill that the president is threatening to veto is only about federal funding of stem cell research. The research itself is not banned and is taking place all over the country and the world as Specter surely knows. Even in his weakened state, he never misses a chance to stick his finger in the president's eye and promote himself at the same time.

I don't believe illness is caused by divine retribution even though in Senator Specter's case, it would be well deserved. He's been a disgrace as a senator and if he were a righteous man, knowing as he did how ill he was, he would have declined to run for re-election. Now it's likely he may be forced to resign giving the Democrat governor a chance to appoint a Democrat.

What a terrible little man he is.

Posted by: erp at May 30, 2005 2:40 PM

I don't believe illness is caused by divine retribution even though in Senator Specter's case, it would be well deserved. He's been a disgrace as a senator and if he were a righteous man, knowing as he did how ill he was, he would have declined to run for re-election. Now it's likely he may be forced to resign giving the Democrat governor a chance to appoint a Democrat to replace him.

What a terrible little man he is.

Posted by: erp at May 30, 2005 2:41 PM

erp,
I believe the bill prohibits fertility clinics and individuals from supplying embryos to research groups, whether these groups be federally funded or not. Libertarian bloggers, led by a professor of law at a Tennessee university, are using this issue to bludgeon Bush and to forecast the end of Republican dominance as they and their enlightened readership defect to the Democrats. On a good note, the longer this goes on the fewer blogs I find it necessary to read. Brothersjudd has greatly reduced my tolerance for reading posts from the dark side.

Posted by: Pat H at May 30, 2005 2:58 PM

I totally agree with the quote - see Christopher Reeve's appearence on South Park.

Posted by: mike beversluis at May 30, 2005 6:08 PM

Sorry about the double post above. This new laptop is a lot faster than my fingers.

BrothersJudd is one of the blogs I click on frequently during the day to see what's new and I'm seldom disappointed. There's always something interesting I haven't seen elsewhere.

Re: the stem cell bill. I'm thoroughly confused. You say the bill as written will prohibit individuals and clinics from giving (selling?) their own property (embryos) to research labs. Presumably the good prof and his acolytes want these embryos to be made available for research, so if Bush vetoes the bill and it dies in congress, doesn't that negate the prohibition on the sale of embryos? If so, how can the issue be used to bludgeon Bush?

Posted by: erp at May 30, 2005 6:38 PM

erp, let me correct my errors:

From the St. Petersburg Times on the bill:

It would authorize federal money for research only on existing embryos, kept in in vitro fertilization clinics, that are slated to be destroyed. Those embryos would have to have been created for the purpose of pregnancy, not research. The owners would have to agree to donate them for research and receive no money in return.

So they couldn't sell them and it wouldn't totally ban them, but a clinic using federal funds would be forced to use only extant lines of stem cells, not new lines created from extra embryos created in fertilization clinics. I believe that is the current rule and if not vetoed, this bill would change it. As for bludgeoning the administration, almost daily I stumble across comments about a mostly Christian-driven overreach from the far right. Most of these seem to deal with community standards issues and stem cells. The link for the above quote is below. Sorry for the error.

Posted by: Pat H at May 30, 2005 8:11 PM

Jim:

Was 'tasteless' an intended pun? Methinks oj is making a typical three-cushion reference to pop culture, probably Fat Bastard.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at May 30, 2005 8:45 PM
« CLEAR CONSTRUCTION: | Main | SON TO THE FATHER, FATHER TO THE SON (via Daniel Merriman): »