May 22, 2005

THE GOP SHOULD PAY FOR HIS TV TIME:

Howard Dean, Chairman of the Democratic Party (NBC News MEET THE PRESS, May 22, 2005)

MR. TIM RUSSERT: Our issues this Sunday: 100 days ago, former presidential candidate Howard Dean elected to lead the Democratic National Committee. This morning his first national television interview as chairman. Our guest, Governor Howard Dean of Vermont, returns to MEET THE PRESS. [...]

MR. RUSSERT: You said in December of 2003 that we shouldn't prejudge Osama bin Laden. How can you sit here and have a different standard for Tom DeLay and prejudge him?

DR. DEAN: To be honest with you, Tim, I don't think I'm prejudging him. The things that I just read off--offering the congressman's son campaign money, providing Westar, the energy company, with a seat at the table in exchange for contributions, using the Department of Homeland Security to track down the private plane of political enemies--those are things that he has already been adjudicated for. Now, the question is: Where is this going to end up? I think there's a reasonable chance that this may end up in jail. And I don't think people ought to do these kinds of things in public service. I do not think they ought to do these kinds of things in public service. And I don't think Democrats should, either. [...]

Dr. Dean: [T]he thing that really bothered me the most, which the 9-11 Commission said also wasn't true, is the insinuation that the president continues to make to this day that Osama bin Laden had something to do with supporting terrorists that attacked the United States. That is false. The 9-11 Commission, chaired by a Republican, said it was false. Is it wrong to send people to war without telling them the truth.

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 22, 2005 2:05 PM
Comments

Pardon my turn of phrase, OJ, but WTF is that? Osama frigg8in' confessed on videotape! Is Dean going to start claiming that 9/11 was a Mossad operation, and 4,000 jews stayed home from work that day?

Posted by: Mike Morley at May 22, 2005 2:20 PM

He said "Osama" when he meant "Saddam," not that the two have anything in common at all.

Posted by: David Cohen at May 22, 2005 2:41 PM

Clearly he mis-spoke, intending to say Saddam Hussein. It's hard to keep the villains straight.

I wonder what it means for Delay to be "adjudicated"? It sounds a little like being edjicated, but with extra jud.

Posted by: pj at May 22, 2005 2:44 PM

'100 days ago, former presidential candidate Howard Dean elected to lead the Democratic National Committee.'

Freudian transcript?

Posted by: old maltese at May 22, 2005 2:52 PM

Dean is sort of like the Jack Nicholson character in A Few Good Men, in that he can be goaded quite easily into making statements that those of us with the slightest bit of discretion wouldn't dare. The Republicans should challenge him to weekly debates on the Sunday morning talk shows. It'd be trivial to provoke him to state that George Bush and Tom Delay are far bigger threats to America than Osama or Saddam. Who knows what he'd say in week 2...

Posted by: b at May 22, 2005 6:26 PM

I liked this bit also:

Rush Limbaugh has made a career of belittling other people and making jokes about President Clinton, about Mrs. Clinton and others. I don't think he's in any position to do that, nor do I think Bill O'Reilly is in a position to abuse families of survivors of 9/11, given his own ethical shortcomings. Everybody has ethical shortcomings. We ought not to lecture each other about our ethical shortcomings.

MR. RUSSERT: But should you jump in the fray and be mocking those kind of people?

DR. DEAN: I will use whatever position I have in order to root out hypocrisy. I'm not going to be lectured as a Democrat--we've got some pretty strong moral values in my party, and maybe we ought to do a better job standing up and fighting for them. Our moral values, in contradiction to the Republicans', is we don't think kids ought to go to bed hungry at night. Our moral values say that people who work hard all their lives ought to be able to retire with dignity. Our moral values say that we ought to have a strong, free public education system so that we can level the playing field. Our moral values say that what's going on in Indian country in this country right now in terms of health care and education is a disgrace, and for the president of the United States to cut back on health-care services all over America is wrong.

Democrats have strong moral values. Frankly, my moral values are offended by some of the things I hear on programs like "Rush Limbaugh," and we don't have to put up with that. Our problem in this party is we didn't stand up early enough and fight back against folks like that who thought they were going to push us around and bully us, and we're not going to do it anymore.

So after after the lengthy segment in which he defends his comment that Tom DeLay should go to jail for his ethical transgressions, he defends his attacks on Limbaugh and O'Reilly, then lectures us on moral values. Clearly, Mr. Dean would like the government to be run in accord with his moral values.

When it comes to rooting out hypocrisy, Dr. Dean, heal thyself.

Posted by: Karl at May 22, 2005 7:12 PM

RE: "He said "Osama" when he meant "Saddam,"..."

And he said "DeLay" when he meant "Baghdad Jim McDermott" too.

Or maybe he was thinking about Hillary's finance chairman.

Posted by: J Baustian at May 22, 2005 9:10 PM

Donald Rumsfeld, discussing Osama bin Laden: “Saddam Hussein (sic), if he’s alive, is spending a whale of a lot of time trying to not get caught. And we’ve not seen him on a video since 2001. Now he’s got to be busy. Why is he busy? It’s because of the pressure that’s being put on him.”

Posted by: Curious Stranger at May 22, 2005 11:48 PM

Gotta love how Lefty trolls are guaranteed to pop up and instead of refuting a charge, bring up some supposed case they consider morally equivalent, as if that constitutes an intellegent response. But that's what being a reactionary is all about.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at May 23, 2005 3:16 AM

"Raoul, you stupid unsophisticated knuckle-dragging extra-chromosome robot of the Taliban wing of--ooops, I mean, 'conservative'--it's quite simple, don't you see? Howard Dean is a great and intelligent member of the reality-based community, while Chimpy McHitler and his faithful toady Rumsfeld are morons. When you attack Howard Dean for a trivial misstatement, I deftly point out that your boys have made the very same mistake, thus proving irrefutably that Howard Dean is a moron. So there! HA! Refute that, I dare you! See, I'm smarter than you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Posted by: Mike Morley at May 23, 2005 6:28 AM

Mr. Stranger:

I'm not sure dressing him in his underwear is much pressure.

Posted by: oj at May 23, 2005 7:07 AM

Howard Dean is a prissy rich boy who will very soon start lecturing people on his Park Avenue upbringing, telling everyone he is smarter and you #@&% well better listen.

He is also quite tiresome. Terry McAuliffe was at least alive. Dean is like a zombie that hiccups and barks, while trying to look intensely dead (serious). Hillary will ease him off stage in due course.

Posted by: jim hamlen at May 23, 2005 3:50 PM