May 17, 2005

POOL WATER YOU CAN DRINK (via Tom Morin):

Super Water Kills Bugs Dead (Skip Kaltenheuser, May. 16, 2005, Wired)

A California company has figured out how to use two simple materials -- water and salt -- to create a solution that wipes out single-celled organisms, and which appears to speed healing of burns, wounds and diabetic ulcers.

The solution looks, smells and tastes like water, but carries an ion imbalance that makes short work of bacteria, viruses and even hard-to-kill spores.

Developed by Oculus Innovative Sciences in Petaluma, the super-oxygenated water is claimed to be as effective a disinfectant as chlorine bleach, but is harmless to people, animals and plants. If accidentally ingested by a child, the likely impact is a bad case of clean teeth.

Oculus said the solution, called Microcyn, may prove effective in the fight against superbugs, crossover viruses like bird flu and Ebola, and bioterrorism threats such as anthrax.

The company has just been granted approval in the United States to test the solution in the treatment of wounds, and already has government approval in Europe, Canada and Mexico for diverse uses, from disinfectant to wound irrigation.

But what about carbohydrates?

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 17, 2005 8:56 AM
Comments

Mexico just needs to put it in their water supply, period.

Posted by: John at May 17, 2005 10:27 AM

Gee, salt helps heal, who would have thought?

DOH!

Posted by: Sandy P. at May 17, 2005 10:45 AM

"Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face . . . Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?"

--Jack D. Ripper

Posted by: Mike Morley at May 17, 2005 10:45 AM

Well, the East always did have notoriously bad teeth.

Posted by: ratbert at May 17, 2005 11:21 AM

If it will kill the bacteria, why won't it kill you?

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at May 17, 2005 12:40 PM

Robert:

If I understand the article correctly, it isn't corrosive as such, but exerts a strong, er, osmotic force. Like saltwater, it will tend to dehydrate things that contain purer water, and the force with which it does so depends on their surface area.

Since tiny microrganisms are exposed on all sides, they will be much more suspectable to this than a large mass of contiguous flesh. I'm dubious that it's very effective and 100% safe, however; it sounds to me like a weak hydrogen peroxide solution would have much the same effect. I may be missing something, however...

Posted by: Mike Earl at May 17, 2005 1:24 PM

What's wrong with the way pool water tastes now?

Posted by: joe shropshire at May 17, 2005 1:55 PM

So they've found a use for Coors Lite I see.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at May 17, 2005 5:27 PM

"What's wrong with the way pool water tastes now?"

Well, if there is a lot of children in the pool, it has a tendency to taste like pee.

Posted by: AllenS at May 17, 2005 6:41 PM

Hmmm, never noticed that.

Posted by: joe shropshire at May 17, 2005 7:07 PM

I read the article after I posted my first comment. When I got to the following quote. I put my hand on my wallet and backed slowly out of the room.

"Dr. Amar Pal Singh Suri of the Diabetic Foot Care Clinic in Delhi, India, began experimenting with Microcyn after learning of it last fall in Germany. Trying it on a severe necrotic wound of a patient whose only remaining option was amputation, Suri said he was surprised to see rapid improvement and the growth of healthy skin tissue."

When they start quoting Indian podiatrists, my bull$h;t detector goes off.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at May 17, 2005 9:02 PM

Is it good for cold fusion, too?

Posted by: pj at May 17, 2005 10:38 PM

You can buy Microcyn™ in its veterinary version, Vetericyn™

INGREDIENTS: Oxidized Water, Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), Hypochlorous acid (HOCl), Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), Ozone (O3), Chlorine dioxide (ClO2), Hydroxide (NaOH), Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3), and Sodium Chloride (NaCl)

Posted by: CharlesWT at May 30, 2005 3:18 AM