May 11, 2005

HARDLY SEEMS WORTH IT:

Bolton's Fate in the Hands of 4 Senators With Doubts (SHERYL GAY STOLBERG, 5/11/05, NY Times)

The future of John R. Bolton, whose nomination to be ambassador to the United Nations has been caught up in controversy, hinges on four wavering Republicans, all of whom say they will not make up their minds until Thursday, when the Senate Foreign Relations Committee is to vote.

The four - Senators Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and George V. Voinovich of Ohio - are among 10 Republicans on the foreign relations panel, and a "no" vote by any one of them would doom Mr. Bolton's nomination.

But Mr. Voinovich - who insisted last month that lawmakers dig deeper into the accusations against Mr. Bolton, a stunning defection - is the one who makes Mr. Bolton's backers the most nervous.

Mr. Voinovich said Tuesday that he was still reviewing documents related to the nomination. Asked if he was feeling pressure not to buck the party, he said: "My people sent me down here to do what's in the best interests of our nation, and that's what the president wants to do. The issue is, he's recommended someone, and I'm giving that recommendation serious consideration. But if I should decide that I'm not going forward and support him, I don't think that's bucking the party."

No, it would be crossing a family with long memories.

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 11, 2005 12:00 AM
Comments

God, I hate George Voinivich. He is nothing short of a disaster for Ohio and the Republican party.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at May 11, 2005 12:44 AM

There are times when I wonder if Senators (and Congresspeople) are the dumbest peope on the planet. But I think it is because many don't have any core convictions so they get twisted around on an issue by a) either thinking too much and or b) allowing their staff to push them where the staff thinks they should be.

As for Voinivich the only argument against Bolton is that he didn't play nice with some fellow workers. If this becomes a disqualifying factor nobody will be able to work for the government.

Posted by: AWW at May 11, 2005 6:53 AM

What interests me particularly about Voinovich is how this opposition helps him. His "nation's interest" has always been subordinate to his "personal interest." I can't figure what the advantage is. He looks like a reincarnation of John Glenn without the hero credentials.

Posted by: Pilgrim at May 11, 2005 7:17 AM

The 'Bush Family' would not be upset if Bolton were defeated as that is what their Saudi paymasters would want. Clearly, Saudi Arabia is against Bolton or else the C- student from CUNY turned Affirmative-Action General wouldn't have participated in a whispering campaign against him.

So now it's up to Hagel, who's on the Saudi payroll, Murkowski, who is only a Senator because Daddy appointed her to the seat, Voinovich, who is upset that Bolton is mean to staffers(something unheard of in the Senate of course), and Chafee who is so dumb he has to be watered twice a day.

World's Greatest Deliberative Body? HAH! More like World's Greatest Compost Heap.

Posted by: bart at May 11, 2005 9:36 AM

Wow, I think Bart just set the record for most libels in a comment.

Posted by: Bob at May 11, 2005 9:42 AM

He left out "everyone who thinks WWII was a waste is a Nazi"...

Posted by: oj at May 11, 2005 9:48 AM

as a general principle, I'm in favor of whatever weakens and embarasses the UN .. I'm not sure if Bolton helps or hurts that cause, so I really don't care how it turns out.

Posted by: JonofAtlanta at May 11, 2005 10:27 AM

Bob,

The Bush Family-Saudi connection is well-documented. Neil(Fredo) Bush has been bailed out to the tune of 8 figures at least twice by the Saudi royals.

Colin Powell was a C- student at CUNY who took 6 years to graduate and only was able to maintain his average due to ROTC courses being such guts.

Hagel got the money to run for office when his business, Vanguard Systems, got the contract to put in the cellular phones for Saudi Arabia. Hagel had been a nondescript staffer for a GOP congressional backbencher before then. You connect the dots.

My comment about Voinovich is based on the moron's own statements.

Murkowski was appointed to the Senate seat by her father, the governor of Alaska at the time.

Chafee is by every account one of the least intellectually impressive members of Congress, a truly frightening concept.

Now, since truth is a complete defense to libel, Where exactly was I being libelous?

Posted by: bart at May 11, 2005 11:01 AM

April 21, 2005
Sen. Voinovich Offers Self for U.N. Ambassador Post
by Scott Ott

(2005-04-21) -- Republican Sen. George Voinovich of Ohio, who missed last week's confirmation hearing for U.N. Ambassador-nominee John Bolton, then delayed the Senate panel's vote because Democrats appeared upset and he needs more information, today offered himself as an alternate candidate for the diplomatic post.

"I think my behavior in the past week alone has demonstrated that I have the temperament and work ethic required to serve at the United Nations, may it live forever," said Mr. Voinovich. "Clearly Mr. Bolton is a blunt man, with a focus on results and little patience for fools and swindlers. How could he ever function at the U.N.?"

Mr. Voinovich added that he's "not beholden to any special interest group -- like the Republican party or the United States -- so I can be fully in touch with the feelings of diplomats from other countries and other political ideologies."

The former Ohio governor said he would consider appointing fellow Republican Senators Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska as his deputy ambassadors.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said, "The president already has a nominee for U.N. Ambassador, but he'll forward Sen. Voinovich's resumé to some other nations that have similar job openings."

Posted by: Genecis at May 11, 2005 1:21 PM