April 10, 2005

NO, NOT BAD:

Tiger erases DiMarco's lead, goes up three (AP, 4/10/05)

Tiger Woods tied a Masters record with seven straight birdies and surged past Chris DiMarco to take a three-stroke lead into Sunday's final round at Augusta National.

The golfers were back on the course at 8 a.m. to complete the weather-delayed third round, with DiMarco holding a four-shot lead over Woods.

Within an hour, Woods was on top -- and in position for his fourth green jacket. That would tie Arnold Palmer for second-most victories in Masters history; only Jack Nicklaus, with six, has won more.

Woods shot 65 in the third round, one stroke better than the second-round 66 that got him back in contention. He opened the tournament with a 74.

"Not bad, huh?" Woods said, smiling.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 10, 2005 12:10 PM
Comments

Woods is one of the very few actual athletes on the PGA Tour, his success should not surprise. If you took the top ten PGA players, the top ten of the Pro Bowlers Tour, the top ten NASCAR drivers, the top ten rated chess players in the world, and the top ten finishers at the World Poker Tour and had them do a decathalon against each other, the golfers would finish last by several woods.

Posted by: bart at April 10, 2005 12:34 PM

Bart has never played or if he has played never broken 150. Walk Bethpage Black on a hot summer afternoon and tell me you don't need to be in shape to play the game well. You don't have a clue, my friend.

Posted by: Tom C., Stamford, Ct. at April 10, 2005 8:21 PM

Wow, what a shot Tiger pulled off on 16.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at April 10, 2005 11:45 PM

Craig Stadler, Duffy Waldorf, John Daly and countless others. They look like they'd get a heart attack walking to the buffet table at Sizzler. Eastern Long Island is well known for its excessive heat. LOL!

As Jimmy Cannon, the great sportswriter said when asked why he hated golf, 'Even a mailman carries his own bag.'

Posted by: bart at April 11, 2005 7:04 AM

Great tournament. Dimarco blew it. His approach shot on the last was a mistake and I think he'd be the first to admit it. At that level, the player with the fewest mistakes wins although Wood's chip on 16 was a 1 in 100 kind of shot and deadly to an opponent in a close match. A contest which comes down to making a 12 ft.putt on the last hole after a 8 mile walk is what the sport comes down to. Jimmy Cannon couldn't play either. Everone I've ever known who hates the game can't play it with any level of skill. 95 degrees is common at Bethpage in July/August and carts are not available. BTW,golf is the only sport dependant on the honor of the players. If you'd like to understand how someone ticks play them in a $5 nassau.

Posted by: Tom C., Stamford, Ct. at April 11, 2005 8:40 AM

My goodness walking four hours on a hot day in an environment full of shade and refreshment, with someone else doing the lifting!! That's less exertion than roofing or gardening, not to mention driving around a track with a 140 degree temperature for 3-4 hours, having to make split-second decisions the whole while.

Golf is certainly a skill, as is skeet shooting. But to call its participants 'athletes' is just laughable. A 'sport' dependent upon the honor of the players merely gives the dishonorable an unfair advantage.

If you want to learn about people, go to a casino for a few hours.

Posted by: bart at April 11, 2005 9:46 AM

Bart-

Do you play the game?

Posted by: Tom C., Stamford,Ct. at April 11, 2005 10:52 AM

bart:

Are you secretly JoJo Giorgiani?

Posted by: oj at April 11, 2005 11:04 AM

I've played at Glen Oaks CC a few times with my uncle and his friends but that's about it. It doesn't interest me. One doesn't have to eat lots of Ethiopian food to know that it's lousy.

You like golf, I don't. It's just that simple and you seem to see it as some kind of moral failing on my part.

OJ,

Who is JoJo Giorgiani? And why do you think he and I are one and the same?

Posted by: bart at April 11, 2005 11:27 AM

Bart-

It's not a moral failing. I just get a kick out of guys who have an opinion without playing the game. Baseball was my game as a young man with football taking second place. At my age the closest I come to recreating the feeling of hitting a baseball perfectly within the context of a thinking game is golf. The pros make it look easy because they work at it. The most challenging game ever devised if one wishes to play it consistently well.

Posted by: Tom C., Stamford,Ct. at April 11, 2005 1:47 PM