April 4, 2005

AMAZIN':

How do you spend that much money and have no bullpen?

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 4, 2005 5:21 PM
Comments

I was listening on the radio while running errands about town. The real tragedy for the Mets is that Pedro stuck out 12 in 6 ip, the Mets got a lead back and then blew it.

OTOH I am a reds fan so I don't feel bad about it.

P.S. didn't the reds ruin the Mets chances of making the playoffs last year by sweeping their last series in NY in late September?

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at April 4, 2005 5:41 PM

Watching the game pitch-by-pitch on ESPN. The speed of the collapse at the end was astonishing. I can't wait to read about it, but I can't imagine Randolph even talked to Looper after giving up the first home run. The second home run from Randa flashed up on my screen way too quickly after the first.

Pedro had those 12 Ks in the first 5 innings by the way, for anyone interested.

Posted by: Matt C at April 4, 2005 6:04 PM

oj -

Not to complain, but I'm still waiting on that book I won for the Frenchman contest. Is it coming?

-Matt

Posted by: Matt C at April 4, 2005 6:06 PM

As soon as I leave the block.

Posted by: oj at April 4, 2005 6:19 PM

To be honest, Looper just sounds like the name of a pitcher who's going to get shelled. But it isn't as if Met fans haven't seen this bullpen secnario play out every year since 2001.

Posted by: John at April 4, 2005 11:36 PM

Steve Philips and Dan Duquette's even stupider and more arrogant cousin left the Mets a shambles. It was a Swiss cheese, not a ballclub when Omar Minaya arrived on the scene. Randolph is also a work-in-progress.

Posted by: bart at April 5, 2005 7:09 AM

Looper was actually their only reliable reliever last year. These things happen, but only once in a long while. Almost all the time, even the Mets will win when they take a two-run lead into the ninth.

And, of course, if Martinez hadn't coughed up the three-run jack in the first, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Posted by: Casey Abell at April 5, 2005 8:18 AM

Casey: it is one thing to serve the 3 run job in the first frame, another to to allow back to backs in the bottom of the 9th. Pedro pitched terrific and deserved to win.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at April 5, 2005 11:45 AM

Looper just sounds like the name of a pitcher who's going to get shelled.

For me, the name is Bobby Ayala. I remember him on the Mariners in the mid-1990's. You want to lose a game, have Lou P. send in Ayala.

Posted by: pchuck at April 5, 2005 12:45 PM

A three-run homer in the first hurts just as much as three runs in the ninth. It's amazing how many overlook this obvious fact, which is why closers get so much money and are so absurdly overrated.

Posted by: Casey Abell at April 5, 2005 1:26 PM

The latter part of that is true, the earlier not. A blowout is nowhere near as discouraging as a chunder.

Posted by: oj at April 5, 2005 1:30 PM