March 14, 2005

DID HE SAY HE WAS RUNNING AS A DEMOCRAT?:

Former NAACP president to run for U.S. Senate (Associated Press, March 14, 2005)

Former NAACP President Kweisi Mfume announced Monday that he will run for the U.S. Senate in 2006.

"It is with great pride and deep humility that I announce to you today my candidacy for the Senate of the United States,'' Mfume said at a news conference in Baltimore.

"I can't be bought. I won't be intimidated. I don't know how to quit,'' Mfume said as his supporters applauded.

Mfume, who was a five-term U.S. congressman before becoming president of the Baltimore-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, issued the statement after incumbent Paul Sarbanes announced Friday that he will not run for re-election.

"This is step one in what will be an embarrassment of wealth for the Democratic Party in 2006,'' said Derek Walker, spokesman for the Maryland Democratic Party.

Can't wait to see how his rivals for the nomination handle the several personal issues on which he's vulnerable, but the using of which to take him out might alienate black voters.

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 14, 2005 5:56 PM
Comments

Best case scenario is that Mfume's rivals destroy him personally during the primary, leading him to endorse Steele, tacitly or otherwise, in the general.

Posted by: Timothy at March 14, 2005 7:23 PM

Best case scenario is that Doug Duncan buys the nomination with elitist suburban cash and ticks of Mr Mfume.

Posted by: JAB at March 14, 2005 7:37 PM

Bringing to mind what Calvin once said to Susie Derkins: "Your bangs do a good job of covering your lobotomy stitches."

Posted by: at March 14, 2005 8:11 PM

This probably knocks O'Malley out of the race--a white Baltimore politician can't take on Mfume and hope to win (probably means Cardin is out as well). Some say Steele beats Mfume in a walkover (I have my doubts, but I'm rethinking my statements from the other day).

Interestingly, the question becomes can Ehrlich win without Steele? The answer is probably too close to "no" for Ehrlich's comfort...which then may push him to run for the Senate seat and Steele for Governor. And Ehrlich would probably be more comfortable back in Congress (with no term limits), and Steele may well be more comfortable in Annapolis, at least for the near term.

Mfume running sure makes things difficult for the Democrats, who have a lot of eager candidates but not many offices for which they can run.

Posted by: jsmith at March 14, 2005 9:20 PM

How about his having 5 illegitimate children by 4 different women? He should lead another march for atonement.

Posted by: George at March 15, 2005 12:31 AM
« DEMOCRATIC RHETORIC FORCES DEMOCRATIC REALITY: | Main | WANNA SEE OIL HIT $20 A BARREL? »