February 10, 2005

BLOOD MONEY:

Bush to Seek $100 Million in Military Aid for His Polish Ally (DAVID E. SANGER, 2/10/05, NY Times)

President Bush told President Aleksander Kwasniewski of Poland on Wednesday that he would ask Congress for $100 million to modernize the Polish military, part of a program of support for a new NATO ally that has more than 2,000 soldiers in Iraq.

We can never adequately compensate them for what FDR and Truman did to them.

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 10, 2005 10:56 AM
Comments

What does $100m buy a military these days? Fifty tanks, or half-a-dozen fighter jets?

You could probably go a long way in training and communications gear with that money, which might be a good place to start anyway...

Posted by: Mike Earl at February 10, 2005 11:13 AM

ehhhh, I'm not really happy funding the EU's future army to be used against US.

And we know where, depending on what we supply them with, the tech will end up.

Via Frogistan.

Posted by: Sandy P at February 10, 2005 11:23 AM

With a little luck, these weapons may not be used against the US but France & Germany when the EU breaks out in civil war one fine day.

Posted by: Oswald Booth Czologosz at February 10, 2005 11:29 AM

SandyP,

Poland is going to join with Germany in a war against the US? Please forward to my attention whatever hallucinogen you are using.

Posted by: Bart at February 10, 2005 11:36 AM

Bart - they may not have an option of sitting out.

I'm not talking Poland, I'm talking EU.

I'm still trying to figure out how the EU's going to work around that little agreement we made Germany sign 60 years ago.

That really doesn't come up in discussions.

Posted by: Sandy P at February 10, 2005 11:41 AM

OJ,

Perhaps the Poles would accept the compensation of us not fighting an atomic war on their soil in 1946. Would that be enough?

Posted by: Brandon at February 10, 2005 12:10 PM

Brandon:

They never considered Moscow their soil.

Posted by: oj at February 10, 2005 12:20 PM

Sure, they'll sit it out. What pressure can France put on them? Compare that with the value they get from being America's friend.

The same is of course true for Italy, Holland(heavily invested in the US), the Warsaw Pact states, etc. The anti-American Schroeder is going down for the count in Germany. Blair is ascendant in Britain. Conservatives rule in Denmark.

All that the EU could array against us is France, Spain, Luxmebourg, Belgium and Scandanavia. IOW, an alliance with less force projection capacity than the NYPD and a smaller GDP than California.

Posted by: Bart at February 10, 2005 12:22 PM

Ahh, Bart, but their constitution will reign supreme.

But I really don't want to read that monstrosity.

Posted by: Sandy P at February 10, 2005 1:06 PM

EU v. US in a war, an actual shooting war? I guess its possible in the same way I guess I at 45 can still become a movie star, President of the US or a billionaire.

Europe has absolutely no force projection. No real aircraft carriers. No air lift capacity. A pacifist culture. US forces on its soil.

I don't think we have to waste analysis on the chances of a shooting war breaking out.

Posted by: Bob at February 10, 2005 4:49 PM
« FOLLOW THE INSIDER TRADING: | Main | JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD AND FOLKS FOLLOW: »