February 1, 2005

ANOTHER TOE OVER THE CLIFF EDGE:

AFL-CIO Won't Endorse Anyone in DNC Race (WILL LESTER, 2/01/05, Associated Press)

AFL-CIO leaders decided Tuesday not to make an endorsement in the race for Democratic National Committee chairman, a move that could make it harder for any of Howard Dean's rivals to stop his push for the party leadership.

Has either party ever had a chairman with negatives as high as Mr. Dean?

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 1, 2005 2:24 PM
Comments

Dean as chair truly mystifies me. Are the dems going to go harder left and stay there come Hell or high water?

Posted by: Tom Wall at February 1, 2005 3:27 PM

I wonder what the new second party is going to be called.

Posted by: Lou Gots at February 1, 2005 3:30 PM

"Has either party ever had a chairman with negatives as high as Mr. Dean"

I always thought of myself as reasonably well informed on politics, but quite frankly I never gave a tinker's d**m who the Party Chair was for either party. I take it from your question that I was supposed to know these things, so I hang my head in shame and ask the master's forgiveness. I'm so humiliated.

Posted by: h-man at February 1, 2005 3:40 PM

It'll be the Greens, but with a new name. Progressive Party seems likely.

Posted by: oj at February 1, 2005 3:50 PM

"Progressive?" Of course! After all, 100% of their positions are solidily rooted in the past. I suppose Rove will pick that name for them.

Posted by: Lou Gots at February 1, 2005 7:56 PM

Yeah, the Progs are getting real big here in VT. It just makes me think of how Stalin apologists in the 30's were known as "progressive."

Posted by: Governor Breck at February 1, 2005 7:57 PM

There are so many voters who have been de-coupled from parties that there is a high likelihood that both parties will experience significant mutation.

Posted by: Bart at February 1, 2005 8:24 PM

George Bush has absurdly high levels of support from both Republicans and self-professed conservatives.

Posted by: oj at February 1, 2005 8:26 PM

But that is only one segment of the electorate. I think Bush is doing a tremendous job and I held my nose and voted for him in 2000, almost deciding to write in McCain.

There are lots of folks in the muddy middle who are unhappy, 48% of Americans did vote for an embarassment to be President. The failure of the Democrats to even attempt to represent working class Americans is the most obvious failure of the political system but where do you go if you are libertarian on social and cultural matters, conservative on economics but recognize that huge disparities of wealth and opportunity(more importantly) are not conducive to social peace, and a bite-em-on-the-leg American chauvinist?

Posted by: Bart at February 1, 2005 8:48 PM

That segment is the party, which is at its highest % since who knows--refuting your decoupling notion.

Posted by: oj at February 1, 2005 9:01 PM

OJ,

When I look at you the notion of 'libertarian on social and cultural matters' does not exactly come to mind. James Dobson doesn't speak for me, and there are lots of folks who would vote GOP for whom he is downright scary.

Posted by: Bart at February 1, 2005 9:44 PM

Wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dr.D. at February 2, 2005 2:44 AM