January 5, 2005

SIIIIIIIIIIDDDDD!!!!, WE NEED MORE DRUGS!!!!!!:

A turning tide: Drive by drug firms, Bush to halt Canadian imports is gaining momentum (Christopher Rowland, January 5, 2005, Boston Globe)

Pressure from US drug companies and more recently President Bush is causing the pendulum to swing against importation of Canadian prescription drugs.

The average savings on popular drugs from Canada dipped sharply to 29 percent in late 2004 from 38 percent in early January 2003, according to a report to be released today by PharmacyChecker.com, a for-profit website that monitors drug prices.

A key reason for the decline in savings, according to the report, was pharmaceutical manufacturers imposing supply curbs on Canadian wholesalers.

Meanwhile, the trade group representing Canadian Internet pharmacies, which have built cross-border shipments to Americans into a $700 million industry in just a few years, said yesterday it is bracing for a crackdown by Prime Minister Paul Martin's government.

Did folks really expect the industry and Canadians to subsidize their drug habits?

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 5, 2005 8:47 AM
Comments

The Democrats (and a few Illinois Republicans) did -- at least they believed saying it would win them votes. The opportunists realize in the long run that strategy is unworkable, while the seemingly-ever-growing fantasy wing of the party probably believes that a U.S. subsidy to Canada for their low-cost drugs and/or nationalizing the U.S. pharmacutical industry would be the answer to the inability of 30 million Candians to subsidize the potential drug costs of 150 million Americans.

Posted by: John at January 5, 2005 8:58 AM

Posted by: Benjamin at January 5, 2005 9:41 AM

I may be misinformed, but under the current conditions are't we in the U. S. subsidizing the Canadians and others?

Posted by: jdkelly at January 5, 2005 11:16 AM

Mr. Judd;

I strongly doubt that it occurred to anyone involved to even think that far ahead. Cheap drugs in Canada is no different than sunshine and rain - they all just happen until they are destroyed by Evil Capitalists.

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at January 5, 2005 3:06 PM

jd:

yes, but we're a great nation.

AOG:

Except that all of us thought of it. Why not them?

Posted by: oj at January 5, 2005 3:08 PM

Mr. Judd;

I asked that question almost every day at work as I saw people do things just as dumb as this for much the same (lack of) reason. I was considered a wizard among my highly educated and intelligent peers because I would make statements about the future as blindingly obvious as this one. Eventually, of course, I was treated the same way as Cassandra.

So, I don't know why they wouldn't think of it, but empirical evidence strongly suggests they don't. Otherwise, who would ever have believed in Communism?

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at January 5, 2005 6:23 PM