January 23, 2005

DEAD SOLID PERFECT:

Nothing is more certain in life than that the two road teams will win the NFL playoff games today.

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 23, 2005 11:07 AM
Comments

Hard to see the Falcons, a dome team, winning in snow.

But I hope you're right about the Pats.

Posted by: pj at January 23, 2005 11:11 AM

Absolutely, 100%, correct. Got a new dog, I see.

Posted by: David Cohen at January 23, 2005 11:30 AM

I can't say that I agree with this prediction. The Eagles have a terrible record for showing up drunk for post-season games, but pj's observation is compelling: adverse terrain favors the better-trained and equipped force.

Posted by: Lou Gots at January 23, 2005 11:31 AM

I'm more confident in the AFC road team than I am in the NFC team Vick or no Vick, which is why I'm going with Philly in the NFC game. But if the Falcons do strike early and get a 10-point lead or more, the ghosts of the past three seasons will start rising up -- and the snowballs from angry fans will start falling -- on the Eagles.

Posted by: John at January 23, 2005 12:19 PM

Atlanta lacks size on both the offensive and defensive fronts. In a weather game, lots of cold and wind, the ability to blast the other team off the ball is the deciding factor. Michael Vick will not be able to cut on an icy field the way he does on an indoor track. Since the Falcons offense is essentially one-trick pony, I would not be surprised them get shut out today.

It is very hard to bet against New England today even though Pittsburgh is at home and is a solid team. Roethisberger isn't getting it done like he did earlier, people are figuring him out. He is going through a stage not unlike a starting pitcher's second trip around the league. Also, Corey Dillon did not play in the season and the Patriots had just been hit by the injury bug. Since then, Dillon has shown that he can handle the cold and the pressure and the defense has more than adjusted to the absence of Law and Poole.

Posted by: Bart at January 23, 2005 12:37 PM

David:

The other one was an idiot.

Posted by: oj at January 23, 2005 12:52 PM

Did you also get a new house, after betting the last one?

Posted by: pj at January 23, 2005 1:39 PM

New doghouse....

Posted by: oj at January 23, 2005 1:42 PM

Go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-a-l-l-l-l!

Posted by: Lou Gots at January 23, 2005 4:01 PM

Is it Stanley Cup time again?

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at January 23, 2005 4:06 PM

Eagles win.

Posted by: Brandon at January 23, 2005 6:29 PM

For G-d's sake, pick the Steelers before it's too late.

Posted by: David Cohen at January 23, 2005 6:31 PM

It seems more certain than ever that the Patriots will win, 52-15.

Posted by: oj at January 23, 2005 6:55 PM

Well, your dog got one right. Maybe you should get a cat.

Posted by: Brandon at January 23, 2005 10:00 PM

41-27. Dodged a bullet there, David -- if I were you I'd have him disappeared a week or so before the big game

Posted by: joe shropshire at January 23, 2005 10:19 PM

What do the Falcons and a certain Louisiana congressman have in common?

Posted by: ghostcat at January 23, 2005 10:33 PM

OJ - I didn't know you paid attention to the NFL. I thought Colgate was the only football you acknowledged.

Posted by: Foos at January 23, 2005 10:41 PM

David:

The lock of the century--Pats win the Superbowl, 6-3.

Foos:

Who pays attention?

Posted by: oj at January 24, 2005 12:39 AM

At least I made up the losses I had last week betting on the G-damn Sheep.

The weather in Jacksonville in late January, early February is mid50s-low 60s relatively clear. IOW, perfect football weather. I'll wait to see the injury reports before I make a prediction.

Posted by: Bart at January 24, 2005 8:39 AM