January 17, 2005

DANG RULES (via Robert Schwartz):

A Moratorium on Weddings (ALISON LEIGH COWAN, 1/14/05, NY Times)

In a protest against the Episcopal Church's refusal to allow same-sex marriages, the leaders of a church in the stately East Rock section of this city have announced that they will perform no marriage ceremonies at all.

The decision, conveyed on Thursday in a letter from the priest to the 115 families of St. Thomas's Episcopal Church, is a novel challenge to the social and religious barriers to marriage between homosexuals.

Why not just declare a moratorium on your religious faith if you prefer homosexuality to it?

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 17, 2005 8:07 AM
Comments

Moratorium? Heck they should hold a GOoB Sale.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at January 17, 2005 2:19 PM

If you can't accept the obvious--that God created homosexuals--then perhaps your religious faith isn't worth having.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at January 17, 2005 5:03 PM

Just because you "accept the obvious" doesn't mean that it becomes of paramount importance. God created phlegm, too.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at January 17, 2005 5:51 PM

Jeff:

God created serial killers too--we still need to try and stop them.

Posted by: oj at January 17, 2005 6:25 PM

Serial killers, homosexuals.

Having a little trouble with making distinctions today, eh?

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at January 18, 2005 9:24 PM

Yes, God created people who are homosexual. God also gave humanity the institution of marriage, which as it has been defined over the past 2 or 3 milleniums in the Judeo-Christian tradition as a binding contract/covenant between one man and one woman that binds them together as one until death parts them.

On the one hand, the leaders of St. Thomas' Church are bound to follow the decision of the hierarchy. On the other hand, if they choose to defy the decision out of conscience they certainly must. Their chosen course of action, however, is childish! They sound like my children when I say "no" to them.

Posted by: Dave W. at January 19, 2005 12:42 AM

Jeff:

The problem is you wish behaviors you approve of to be genetically progrtammed and bthose you disapprove of to be volitional, with no other distinction but your tastes.

Posted by: oj at January 19, 2005 8:12 PM

Dave W:

I am sympathetic to your argument regarding homosexuals and marriage. While I happen to think whether gays marry is completely irrelevant to heterosexual marriage, I'm completely certain allowing gays to marry simply isn't worth the upset to people who oppose it.

Perhaps you should talk to OJ, who prefers to murder those whom God made homosexual.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at January 19, 2005 8:38 PM

Jeff, I'm familiar w/OJ's position. It is improper according the teachings of the New Testament for homosexuals to be murdered/killed for being homosexual. Besides, I'm not free enough from sin myself to throw the first stone.

If I, as a 13 year old Christian young man, had gone to my minister and told him that I wanted to have a barmitzvah, he would have said no and explained why not. Had I then gone to see the rabbi at the nearby temple and told him that I wanted to have a barmitzvah, he would have said no and explained why not. Barmitzvahs are for 13 year old Jewish males (and batmitzvah's are for 13 year old Jewish females). The issue of gays marrying is relevant to hetrosexual marriage because marriage is a covenant/contract between one man and one woman (one at a time).

Posted by: Dave W. at January 20, 2005 3:09 PM
« SHE EATS POTATOES WITH HER KNIFE: | Main | FINE TUNED (via Robert Schwartz): »