December 12, 2004

IS 61% A PASSING GRADE?

Test Finds Inaccuracies in Help Line for Medicare (ROBERT PEAR, NY TIMES, Dec. 12th, 2004)

Medicare's toll-free telephone line, one of the main vehicles for disseminating information about new prescription drug benefits and drug discount cards, gives accurate answers less than two-thirds of the time, Congressional investigators say.

In a test of the service, the investigators, from the Government Accountability Office, found that 29 percent of callers received inaccurate answers, while 10 percent got no answers at all.

Posted by Stephen Judd at December 12, 2004 4:40 AM
Comments

26th percentile is good enough for "proficient" for purposes of determining Adequate Yearly Progress in the standardized assessments being used for NCLB in my state. Of course the schools are still failing to make the grade, because AYP is needed in every population, including all sorts of disadvantaged types.

Posted by: Lou Gots at December 12, 2004 8:33 AM

4:40 a.m.? Man, you guys were up late last night!

Posted by: Semolina Pilchard at December 12, 2004 9:16 AM

On a curve, compared with the IRS Help Line it's practically a Deans List performance.

Posted by: Bart at December 12, 2004 11:28 AM

Try working with the Bureau of Indian Affairs sometime. I'm waiting for a probate court to conclude so that I can receive money that my father had in an account. He died in 1985. I have no idea where this account ever was. They don't seem to know much either.

Posted by: AllenS at December 12, 2004 11:49 AM

Posted by: AllenS at December 12, 2004 11:49 AM

Sorry, I dropped my glasses and they hit the keyboard after clicking on Post.

Posted by: AllenS at December 12, 2004 11:51 AM