December 12, 2004

DOPEHEADS:

Cannabis raises risk of psychosis (BBC, 12/01/04)

Frequent cannabis use during adolescence and young adulthood raises the risk of psychotic symptoms later in life, research suggests.

The risk was much higher in young people who were already genetically vulnerable to developing psychosis.

It is thought cannabis disrupts the balance of the key mood chemical dopamine in the brain.

The research, by Maastricht University, is published by the British Medical Journal.

With drug users, it's always hard to tell where the dope ends and the dopishness begins.

Posted by Orrin Judd at December 12, 2004 4:20 AM
Comments

Like, duuuude, this news is, like, a major bummer!

Posted by: Mike Morley at December 12, 2004 9:53 AM

Anyone who says that canabis (especially the ultra-powerful strains grown for the past 30 years) is not addictive or dangerous, doesn't know what they are talking about. The danger is is 100-fold for adolescents and young adults whose brains are still developing (until approximately age 25). I became addicted to cannabis when I was 13; it was as if I had discovered the chemical that had been missing from my brain since birth. It is the only incident in my life that I admit I was a victim. I was lucky; God gave me will power and a desire for life. For the next 20 years, I tried to kick it, I managed about a 60 percent clean rate, some of the intervening years on the wagon, others off. As Orrin points out, I will never know what the normal me would have been, but I know I missed the mark and I know I am not as emotionally mature as I might have turned out. I also struggled with depression for a few years. I believe God has helped me make the best of a tragedy, but it is hard work and the second guessing (the suspicion that MAYBE you are but a shell of what you could have been) can be very distressing. So, you just get on with things. I am clean and have been for many years. But I don't hold back with young people; I tell them the truth about this very dangerous drug. Depending on one's brain chemistry, it is extraordinarily addictive and it will attack your inner strength, the core that gives you bravery and maturity. It is for this reason that I hate drug and despise the people who peddle them, especially to children. I favor the most dire penalty for drug dealers who would destroy the mind of a child.

And, yes, I take responsibility for my stupidity at age 13 in accepting that first offer of that joint. But I had been told for years that marijuana wasn't addicitive or harmful. A 13-year-old can't imagine the consequences. We have to impart these lessons with more vigor. We have to tell the truth (and visit wrath and doom on those who would enslave and destroy our children and young people.)

Posted by: Geo at December 12, 2004 10:41 AM

"Dopishness"?

Posted by: Brandon at December 12, 2004 11:00 AM

If the brain is still developing until age 25, does that mean adolescents are only potentially human?

Posted by: Joseph Hertzlinger at December 12, 2004 2:03 PM

www.educatingvoices.org is a great website that deals with drug issues. Click on EVI News to read different media stories about drugs.

Posted by: Vince at December 12, 2004 6:13 PM