November 4, 2004

HOW WELL THEY KNOW US...:

What Went Wrong? (Peter Beinart, 11.04.04, New Republic)

Honest conservatives, even those who admire President Bush, know he didn't earn a second term. They know he staked his presidency on a catastrophe, and that, by all rights, Iraq should be his political epitaph. Their victory, while sweet, can't be fully enjoyed because it isn't fully deserved.

I know a not inconsiderable number of conservatives and I do not know a single one who feels the way Mr. Beinart thinks we should. but, then again, we're the stupid party and we're not in touch with our feelings, so maybe he knows better than we.

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 4, 2004 6:18 PM
Comments

Thomas (New York Times) Friedman is as wrong as Peter Beinart; doesn't keep either one of them from earning the big bucks:

Posted by: Patrick O'Hannigan at November 4, 2004 6:29 PM

The Left has descended to a point where everything they write is a self-parody. Do they even read their own stuff a couple of times over before submitting it? Don't they know how embarassing it makes them look?

Posted by: andy at November 4, 2004 6:45 PM

I think Bush has made several serious mistakes, but he is by no means a failed President a la Jimmy Carter. I also believe that he was certainly beatable, but it is the duty of a challenger to present a better alternative.

Most of Kerry's endorsements (the New Republic, Economist spring to mind) were of the variety that "Bush has screwed up so why not give someone else a try?" While that may be an acceptable attitude in peace, it does not resonate in wartime.

Bush has his faults, but his virtues (steadfastness, coherent vision, and not panicking) are essential in conducting a war. Kerry did not display any of those virtues nor did his record suggest them. If he did, I think he would have squawked by with a win.

Perhaps Bush's victory was not "deserved." But Kerry deserved to be defeated. He ran a miserable campaign. I still find his nomination inexplicable. Let's all blame Iowa.

Posted by: Chris Durnell at November 4, 2004 6:49 PM

Good thing we here are all scoundrels, then.

Posted by: joe shropshire at November 4, 2004 7:04 PM

The Left should stop telling us non-Leftists what we really think and what we should really do Once they stop responding to their strawmen and fantasties and start responding to real people, and directing their own actions (and taking responsibility for them) they might actually have a chance.

And definitely blame Iowa. I 've hated that state since the 1980s when every time I made a cross-country trip on I-80, it was the only state where all the traffic was dutifully poking along at 56mph. It was a relief to get into Nebraska even though I knew there was hours of Platte River boredom ahead.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at November 4, 2004 7:42 PM

About three weeks ago, I saw Beinart debate Ann Coulter (on C-Span) at Dartmouth (I think - might have been some other Ivy school). She destroyed him, and I only watched about 20 minutes. He always strikes me as the whiny kid at the school newspaper who is mad because no one listens to his SERIOUS messages.

We aren't listening, either. He needs to find another job.

Posted by: jim hamlen at November 4, 2004 10:01 PM

So Bush gets 51% and his victory "isn't fully deserved." What does that make Clinton's victories with 49% in '96 and 43% in '92?

Posted by: PapayaSF at November 4, 2004 10:34 PM

It is the sort of arrogance that just makes anybody on the recieving end (your spouce for example) completely nuts. And the Liberal writers do it all the time.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at November 5, 2004 3:01 AM

60% of bush supporters still -WRONGLY- believe Iraq was involved in the 911 attacks, had WMD after 1991, and that the majority of the world supported bush's invasion of Iraq.

60% of you bootlicking idiots are incredibly ignorant.

And it's "SPOUSE", not "spouce".

Posted by: Dale at November 27, 2004 6:29 AM

60% of you bootlicking idiots are incredibly ignorant.

And it's "SPOUSE", not "spouce".

Posted by: Dale at November 27, 2004 6:30 AM

Dale:

They were, they did, we are.

Posted by: oj at November 27, 2004 6:47 AM