November 9, 2004

HALF A BILLION HERE, HALF A BILLION THERE....:

Novell wins windfall Microsoft settlement (Bob Mims, 11/09/04, The Salt Lake Tribune)

As software disputes go, Novell's decade-long antitrust claim against Microsoft was particularly drawn out. That made the $536 million payoff announced Monday especially sweet.

"What message this conveys to the computing world, it's hard for me to say," Novell spokesman Bruce Lowry mused. "The message it conveys about Novell is that we defend our interests."

Novell had charged that Microsoft illegally used the market dominance of its Windows operating system in the mid-1990s to muscle in on the Utah-born company's NetWare-related computer server market and stymie development of competing operating systems.

Geez, if you whittle MicroSoft down to the market share they won using legal methods they'll be the size of Wang.

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 9, 2004 8:47 PM
Comments

Microsoft is awesome. Name another company that has gotten filthy rich producing a badly flawed product year after year, decade after decade.

Posted by: curt at November 9, 2004 9:13 PM

Yeah, but their competition rarely does a good job, either.

I really want to hate Microsoft, but all these other pathetic companies won't let me.

Posted by: James Haney at November 9, 2004 9:20 PM

I love WP. It's for professionals and easier to use.

Posted by: Sandy P at November 9, 2004 9:44 PM

Microsoft did a great marketing job by "bundling" their competitors to death -- putting Microsoft Networks in to counter Novell, Internet Explorer to counter Netscape and Windows Media Player to counter Real Player (just to name three that resulted in lawsuits). If would be a little like if you were Goodyear or Michelin and suddenly General Motors began putting GM brand tires on all their new cars.

People would still put aftermarket stuff on, the way they do with car stereo systems today, but there's no question the tiremakers would be hurt by the change, since it would require an active effort to alter what's on the system, and for most people, it wouldn't be worth the bother (unless quality control was just gawdawful on those GM tires or they were making them with tubes or polyglass; then folks might get motivated, the same way they are now when all those little flaws in Internet Explorer allows spyware or browser hijackers to foul up their computer).

Posted by: John at November 9, 2004 10:09 PM

Microsoft has produced the K-Car of software. it's "good enough", and that's all they are aiming for. You want "the best" you can go somewhere else and either pay more, or learn to program because you are going to have to write some of it yourself.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at November 9, 2004 11:34 PM

Sandy P:
I assume "WP" denotes WordPerfect (I still use 5.1 from time to time). For Windows, I prefer Lotus WordPro, which is far superior to MicroSoft Word.
Raoul:
Or else run Linux.

Posted by: jd watson at November 10, 2004 12:26 AM

Firefox is just light years better than IE.

Posted by: M Ali Choudhury at November 10, 2004 1:37 AM

Opera is really good too, except that it's not free. I've been using more open source software on my system as well. openoffice.org does everything Microsoft Office does and some stuff better and it's free.

Posted by: Governor Breck at November 10, 2004 6:41 AM

I don't know of anyone who seriously uses a word processor and prefers Word over WP.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at November 10, 2004 7:29 AM

Perhaps you should get out more.

"I can't really believe Richard
Nixon won the election—I don't know anyone who voted for him!"

Posted by: Roy at November 10, 2004 9:15 AM

Will any of the money Novell won in this law suit be distributed to stock holders? My son was a VP there and I think he still owns some stock.

I don't know enough to change to these other systems you nerds are always talking about.

I used Lotus 123 extensively many years ago when I was working. They chose to severely limit those using their program and kept the price artificially high, so when Microsoft came out with Excel, there was no comparison. For example, the hard drive crashed and we had to purchase another Lotus 123 at full price because the program I had didn't have any more installations left on it. They were about seven hundred bucks 25 years ago. Now the old Lotus 123 program looks as ancient as the old 10 key calculators.

Excel does a really credible job. I use it for accounting as well as for data storage. There may be better programs, but this one works great for me. Absolutely no problems with it. I also used Word Perfect years ago. Clumsy comes to mind.

MSWord is okay as a program. It has a lot of nice features, but it goes crazy whenever the back space is used with any frequency as I do when I type fast. I was told to delete the normal file and then start all over again. That works on my PC, but with XP, when I search for normal, a list of hundreds of entries comes up.

When posting in these little boxes, I've taken to writing out my post in a Word file, because when that back space problem occurs, I sometime see very strange things in my posts when they appear in the comments section.

Posted by: erp at November 10, 2004 9:59 AM

WORD is OK. It works well for most tasks, but it has its weaknesses (headers, alignment problems, table issues, limitations in placing pictures, etc.). WordPerfect did these things well because it was easier to control. WORD won't ever give the user the same control.

Posted by: jim hamlen at November 10, 2004 10:47 AM

And, of course, I understand Dan Rather hates Microsoft Word...

Posted by: John at November 10, 2004 11:16 AM

Novell wasn't bullied out of the market. They were idiots. They refused to allow Microsoft to load Novell drivers inside Windows, so you had to run a dos batch file to load the drivers in real mode and then load Windows. Microsoft finally wrote their own drivers and flipped Novell off. I'm so shocked at Microsoft's conduct.
IPX/SPX earned a lifetime achievement award as the worst protocol ever. I can still hear the "phasers firing"...

Posted by: andy at November 11, 2004 12:21 AM