November 17, 2004

DO THEY THINK THEY'RE THE WWF?:

ABC Apologizes for Steamy Scene: Spot before 'Monday Night Football' with Owens and 'Housewives' actress sparks criticism. NFL owner calls it worse than Jackson episode. (Sam Farmer, November 17, 2004, LA Times)

The NFL called the risque promotional spot "inappropriate and unsuitable" for its audience, and at least one team owner thought it more egregious than Janet Jackson's baring her breast in February during the Super Bowl halftime show.

The ABC segment featured a naked Nicollette Sheridan jumping into the arms of Owens. "I couldn't believe it," Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, said in a telephone interview. "My wife said to me, 'Do you see this?' I said, 'Yeah, I saw it. It's a disgrace.' … When they have a football player and they're in a dressing room and they're selling our shield, our product, they've got to have some idea of correctness. It's very insensitive."

The segment, which aired just before Monday's Philadelphia-Dallas game, took place in an otherwise-empty locker room. Sheridan, wearing only a towel, provocatively asked Owens to skip the game for her. At first he declined, saying, "All of Philadelphia's counting on me."

"I can't help myself," Sheridan said. "I love you, T.O."

Moments later, Sheridan dropped her towel and stood naked in front of Owens with her back to the camera.

"Aw, hell," Owens said, "the team's going to have to win this one without me."

The shot then panned out to two more actresses from "Desperate Housewives," Teri Hatcher and Felicity Huffman, who were watching the scene on television and commenting on desperate women.

And the Left wonders why middle Americans feel embattled even in their own homes.

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 17, 2004 1:30 PM
Comments

The World Wildlife Fund?

Posted by: The Other Brother at November 17, 2004 1:40 PM

The issue here is that people were expecting to watch a football game and were instead treated to an inappropriate scene. It is understandable that large numbers of people, especially those in the time zones where the game started at 6 or 7pm and those with young children, were offended.

This is different from the Howard Stern show, where you tune in and you hear garbage. Here, you tuned in expecting a football game and were treated to cheap titillation and cheesy inneundo. If the FCC does fine someone, it should certainly be ABC for promising one popular thing and delivering something unwelcome in many American homes.

Posted by: Bart at November 17, 2004 1:52 PM

WWF is the World WildLife Fund, the former WorldWide Wrestling Federation is now WWE. The WWF sued for the acronym a few years ago and won so the Wrestling one had to change its acronym.

As for the spot I'm young enough to say no big deal but as a parent with kids whose bedtime is approaching 9 p.m. I can understand the outcry.

Posted by: AWW at November 17, 2004 1:53 PM

The spot was pretty bad, especially if like me, you've never watched "Desperate Housewives". I couldn't figure out why a naked woman was seducing Terrell Owens until I saw Teri Hatcher at the end. Then I realized that it was just a plug for another ABC show, not the fun introductions that have been shown before other MNF games.

Posted by: Brandon at November 17, 2004 2:39 PM

The race issue has not been addressed, but you
can bet it will make the furor worse.

Posted by: J.H. at November 17, 2004 3:22 PM

Admit it you loved it. I missed as part of my century long boycott of the NFL.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at November 17, 2004 3:29 PM

W kissed Condi on the cheek, what's the big deal?

Posted by: Sandy P. at November 17, 2004 3:53 PM

Brian:

Is your Tourette's acting up?

Posted by: oj at November 17, 2004 4:24 PM

OJ--

Didn't mean to offend. I was actually rather surprised by this (unnamed, possibly mythical) team official's comment, which, I think, could not be adequately summarized.

Posted by: Brian (MN) at November 17, 2004 4:34 PM

The NFL as a whole has gotten a lot shoddier, snottier, profanity laced and raunchier. Seems they forgot that the XFL was a total failure. And I say this as a loyal football fan. College football looks better and better all the time.

Posted by: Buttercup at November 17, 2004 4:49 PM

Brian:

Only joshing--no link opened for me though.

Posted by: at November 17, 2004 5:52 PM

that doesn't work either

Posted by: oj at November 17, 2004 6:59 PM

OJ--

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm or else I give up.

This guy is far more entertaining than the games, which are very very boring.

Posted by: Brian (MN) at November 17, 2004 7:10 PM

Most Div. 1 college football has been infected as well. But Army-Navy is still fairly safe and my favorite game of the season.

Posted by: TimF at November 17, 2004 7:34 PM

College football looks better and better all the time.

College football has its problems, but I like it because it's not a trash-talk glitz-o-rama like the NFL.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at November 17, 2004 7:41 PM

Brian:

Thanks!

Posted by: oj at November 17, 2004 8:01 PM

This episode just reflects the soul and mind of the MSM and their agenda to destroy the moral and ethical foundations of our society.

Posted by: DPForber at November 18, 2004 11:00 AM

DPForber:

Rubbish.

For one thing, the networks don't run anything more than once if people don't want to watch.

Thus, any regular feature that you find objectionable has been vetted by your fellow citizens.

Further, there is no requirement that you watch television, or read newspapers that you don't like. There are literally thousands of American periodicals, I guarantee that you'll like at least one.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen at November 18, 2004 11:07 PM