November 26, 2004

AND THE CHILEANS WONDER WHY HE NEEDS REAL SECURITY?:

Bush targeted (Bill Gertz and Rowan Scarborough, 11/26/04, THE WASHINGTON TIMES)

The Colombian terrorist group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, known as FARC, threatened to attack President Bush during his stop in Colombia this week.

U.S. intelligence officials said reports from the region indicated that the Marxist group, which has conducted numerous bombings and terrorist attacks in the country, had planned to conduct some type of bombing or shooting attack during Mr. Bush's visit.

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 26, 2004 5:04 PM
Comments

Chile is actually not in Colombia.

Posted by: Social Scientist at November 26, 2004 8:06 PM

Chile is actually not in Colombia.
Also, Colombia is not in Chile.
Really.

Posted by: Social Scientist at November 26, 2004 8:07 PM

And the President of the United States is not the President of Chile--he's a target.

Posted by: oj at November 26, 2004 8:12 PM

And yet American Presidents only get whacked on their native soil--and with some regularity, too.

Posted by: Social Scientist at November 26, 2004 8:27 PM

True, but Chile, was the original source of the
drug trafficking network, not Colombia. They flourished under Allende and migrated to Colombia
after 1973

Posted by: narciso at November 26, 2004 8:52 PM

It's rather inexplicable that FARC would even think about this considering what Al Qaeda looks like now compared to September 10, 2001. Most of FARC-controlled Colombia would be defoliated by President Cheney within a couple of weeks, had they been successful.

Posted by: brian at November 26, 2004 10:33 PM

FARC has lots of money, and a fair number of adherents. It also operates in a jungle. I would not be so sanguine about our ability to root them out successfully with relatively few causalties as we are doing with al-Qaeda.

Posted by: Bart at November 27, 2004 3:16 AM

FARC would wilt when faced by the US military, just as everyone else has.

"The jungle" doesn't provide much protection against thermal imaging, and our air power would roast most of 'em before any US troops got to fill 'em with lead.

If they killed a US President, Cheney gets a blank check to wage war.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen at November 27, 2004 7:04 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to just legalize drugs and then the FARC would be down to bows and arrows?

Posted by: Bart at November 27, 2004 9:49 AM

That would be more sensible, but politically speaking, it's easier to start another war.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen at November 27, 2004 1:31 PM

Bart:

Why not legalize murder and stop wasting money on law enforcement altogether?

Posted by: oj at November 27, 2004 3:43 PM

oj,

Because we do murder to other people, but we use drugs and the primary harm is to ourselves.

Sure there's harm to others, but if I down a dozen Dunkin Donuts every night I am impacting on the costs of American health care, should we therefore ban Dunkin Donuts? If I make a habit of drinking to excess, even if I don't drive when I do, do I not affect others? Of course. If drugs were legal, they would be cheap. And there's no good reason to treat them any different from booze or for that matter Mallomars. If I engage in 'ultrahazardous' activity while on drugs, I merit the criminal sanction as I do when I engage in same while boozed up.

FARC makes its money to run the 'insurgency' off the drug business, whether by protecting drug lords or by manufacturing the drugs themselves. End the illegal status of drugs, and the need for protection and the excess revenue from demand cease, drying up FARC's money to perpetuate its existence.

Posted by: Bart at November 27, 2004 4:11 PM

Bart:

Yes, we are indeed establishing parameters for such foods. Seen the cereal aisle lately?

Posted by: oj at November 27, 2004 5:01 PM

Yes, and even though I'd rather pluck out my eyeballs with a salad fork than eat a cold cereal, it is offensive to me. There should be information about foods, enabling an educated choice, as we have, but beyond that I am unalterably opposed.

I'm making a Tortellini Alfredo next week. It requires heavy cream, parmesan cheese and cheese tortellini. Should the government look at my weight class(as we speak I am 5-9 and 242(admittedly 31 lbs down from 2 months ago)) and bar me from doing so?

Posted by: Bart at November 27, 2004 6:25 PM

Yes. You're going to take the public dime when your heart seizes up in a few years.

Posted by: oj at November 27, 2004 6:34 PM

Hardly, the BP was 132/85 this morning.

Posted by: Bart at November 27, 2004 6:43 PM