November 14, 2004

4 MORE TOMORROW:

Bill Kristol, on Fox News Sunday Morning, just said Spencer Abraham (who'll try to win back his Senate seat in MI) and two other cabinet officers will announce they're moving on tomorrow.

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 14, 2004 9:53 AM
Comments

New blood for the 2nd term is a good thing but is anybody staying??? Also, if I understand the protocol right all of the cabinet officers tender their resignations to the President and he refuses those he wants to stay on. So is Bush letting these people go because he wants better or is he just being nice because these people want to get out for various reasons (make more money, get out of DC, etc)

Posted by: AWW at November 14, 2004 12:17 PM

AWW:

Bush specifically told them he wasn't asking for blanket resignations, just to let him know if they wanted top move on.

Posted by: oj at November 14, 2004 1:20 PM

I personally hope the Spencer Abraham rumor is false. Abraham lost to Liberal Debbie in the first place because he ran the worst constituent services program in history and ticked off all the wrong people. That combined with the fact that women in Michigan still vote for women because they're women and the Union members follow their DNC bosses like sheep unless the DNC candidate is stupid enough to come out for gun control (that's how we ended up with Governor Barbie), and Debbie's been just smart enough to back the War on Terror means that if Abraham runs again he'll lose again. I'd much rather see see Candice Miller take on Liberal Debbie.

Posted by: MarkD at November 14, 2004 2:51 PM

It appears the housecleaning going on is more throughgoing than was apparent at first. Curiously, neither Rumsfeld nor Powell has resigned yet, or if they've offered their resignations, they haven't been accepted. I know that to a lot of conservatives, Powell is a bete noire so the fact that he hasn't left yet must be rather disconcerting to them.

Posted by: Joe at November 14, 2004 4:22 PM

Rumsfeld is Bush's secret weapon even more so than Rove. A brilliant, successful man with no ego. For a moron, Bush has made some very wise appointments. Powell does his job well too. If he has an ego, it's been kept in check. I wasn't crazy about Powell as Secretary of State, but his speech at the UN (I wish I had an exact quote), that the US isn't expansionist and all we've ever asked for is enough land to bury our dead. That did it for me. He can do no wrong after that.

Posted by: erp at November 14, 2004 6:05 PM

So did Spencer Abraham actually accomplish anything as Energy Sec?

Posted by: M Ali Choudhury at November 14, 2004 6:32 PM

I hope that Spence Abraham will not run again for US Senate in '06. He was a poor senator (1995-2001) and ran a weak campaign in '00, losing to Debbie Stabenow. She is beatable, but not by Abraham. I'd like to see Candice Miller or Mike Rogers run. I've heard Stabenow, "Liberal Debbie" described as a "back bencher" and "Ms. Invisible" She is little more than Carl Levin's echo.

For the life of me I can't think of one thing that Spence Abraham has done, accomplished or proposed as Energy Sec. It's probably time for him to move on, just not back to the US Senate.

Posted by: Dave W at November 14, 2004 9:41 PM

The Energy dept should be merged back into the EPA or Interior or something, like Commerce it really doesn't need to be on its own. Abraham dealt with the Energy crisis in 2001. And unlike other cabinet secretaries I don't think he tried to expand the department. As for him running for Senate in '06 I remember him losing to Stabenow was a surprise but as noted above there may be better candidates.

Posted by: AWW at November 14, 2004 10:15 PM