October 13, 2004

NOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR:

Happy Birthday, Mr. Nock (The Foundation for Economic Education, October 13th, 2004)

Today is the 134th anniversary of the birth of the great individualist and essayist Albert Jay Nock (1870-1945), an inspiration to FEE since its founding in 1946. Nock was the author of such unique works as Our Enemy, the State (1935), Mr. Jefferson (1926), and Memoirs of a Superfluous Man (1943).

FEE Timely Classics
-The Genial Mr. Nock by Edmund Opitz
-Nock on Education by Wendy McElroy
-Nock Revisited by Sheldon Richman
-Book Review: The State of the Union
-Book Review: Mr. Jefferson

The Memoirs is a must read, though hard to find. His best essay is on-line though: Isaiah's Job.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 13, 2004 10:34 AM
Comments

Ah. I read Isaiah's Job, and much about the blog becomes clear.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 13, 2004 10:54 AM

Bingo!

Posted by: oj at October 13, 2004 11:06 AM

Isn't Nock the guy who said Belgium had the model society?

Posted by: M Ali Choudhury at October 13, 2004 12:18 PM

" It may be thought, then, that while taking care of the Remnant is no doubt a good job, it is not an especially interesting job because it is as a rule so poorly paid. I have my doubts about this. There are other compensations to be got out of a job besides money and notoriety, and some of them seem substantial enough to be attractive. Many jobs which do not pay well are yet profoundly interesting, as, for instance, the job of the research student in the sciences is said to be; and the job of looking after the Remnant seems to me, as I have surveyed it for many years from my seat in the grandstand, to be as interesting as any can be found in the world."

Much becomes clear, indeed.

Posted by: M Ali Choudhury at October 13, 2004 12:25 PM

It's not too hard to find via the handy service at Bookfinder.com.

Posted by: PapayaSF at October 13, 2004 12:57 PM

Ali:

Now if I could just figure out how to fix the low (no) pay part, it would make The Wife very happy.

Posted by: oj at October 13, 2004 12:59 PM

The remnant out here is tapped out paying for your wars. Now get back to work.

Posted by: h-man at October 13, 2004 2:16 PM

M Ali

"What chiefly makes it so, I think, is that in any given society the Remnant are always so largely an unknown quantity. You do not know, and will never know, more than two things about them. You can be sure of those--dead sure, as our phrase is--but you will never be able to make even a respectable guess at any else. You do not know, and will never know, who the Remnant are, nor where they are, nor how many of them there are, nor what they are doing or will do. Two things you know, and no more: first, that they exist; second, that they will find you. Except for these two certainties, working for the Remnant means working in impenetrable darkness; and this, I should say, is just the condition calculated most effectively to pique the interest of any prophet, who is properly gifted with the imagination, insight, and intellectual curiosity necessary to a successful pursuit of his trade."

Even clearer, no?

Posted by: Peter B at October 13, 2004 2:23 PM

Been a while since I read Khalil Gibran, but if I'm not mistaken there are many parallels to the linked essay.

Posted by: Eugene S. at October 13, 2004 2:44 PM
« THE MIRROR SWAPS LEFT FOR RIGHT | Main | PRESIDENT KERRY WOULD HAVE SURRENDERED TO THEM MONTHS AGO: »