October 21, 2004

MOVEON.MODO:

Dowd: Dems Already Looking Past Kerry to Hillary (NewsMax, 10/21/04)

While they still intend to vote for John Kerry, many Democrats are already resigned to his defeat and are looking forward to Hillary Clinton's presidential candidacy in 2008, New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd said Thursday.

"I know a lot of Democrats I've talked to are really resigned," Dowd told radio host Don Imus. "They've sort of moved on in their heads to Hillary in 2008."

I'm goin' to Chappaqua in my mind...

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 21, 2004 5:33 PM
Comments

Here's a question: would getting drubbed by Giuliani in 2006 short circuit Hillary's plans?

Posted by: Timothy at October 21, 2004 5:45 PM

She'd duck the race. "I'm bowing out to devote myself full time to the run for presidentress."

Posted by: oj at October 21, 2004 5:58 PM

Love the James Taylor lick, oj.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at October 21, 2004 6:06 PM

O, we love your optimism, your faith, belief, it was admirable and apple pie during the alcs, but your faith of the inevitable that hilary would bow out strikes me as similar to cheney dropping out, and kerry dropping his senate run. Best case scenarios, how it should be, but not how it is. I guess if you are right 51% of the time then you're more right than 95% of the rest of us.

Posted by: neil at October 21, 2004 8:38 PM

neil:

If she lost to Rudy she'd be toast. Why risk it? Of course, he's more likely to want to be governor, a real job and a launch pad to the presidency.

Posted by: oj at October 21, 2004 8:48 PM

I concur. If Kerry loses, St.Hilary all but announces her candidacy by New Years. At that point, why waste two years fund raising for a measly Senate job when that time is better spent going for the Big One? She'll probably spend about as much time at her day job as Kedwards have, and that could be her excuse to not run-- She magnanimously declares that the People of New York need a full time Senatrix, dropping hints about Kedwards failure as proof of that, and how both jobs are important but the country needs her. In doing so, she also avoids any chance of getting whipped by some nobody and ruining the plan, too.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at October 21, 2004 9:17 PM

OJ you are exactly right. Hilary would lose to either Pataki or Giuliani.

I have a great deal of trouble understanding who would vote for her/it who lives South of the Potomac or West of the Delaware, and outside of the LA and SF Metro Areas.

Posted by: Bart at October 21, 2004 9:42 PM

Back to the Dowd article - this is good news. If this type of attitude is spreading among the Dems it might lead to lower Dem turnout and a decent Bush/GOP win turns into a landslide.

Posted by: AWW at October 21, 2004 11:45 PM

While you are at it, add this to the mix. :-)

Posted by: Uncle Bill at October 22, 2004 12:30 PM
« NY DIDN'T SEEM THAT COLD (via Jim Siegel): | Main | CRANK UP BRILLIANT PEBBLES: »